The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

UCONN- Memphis (Video)

Around the 9:15 mark of the 2nd half there is a blocking foul called on UCONN #11 followed by a TF on the same player. From my living room I did not like either call.

Then there is what appears to be a pretty obvious travel that was not called with about 15 seconds or so left in the game.

Thanks

Last edited by VaTerp; Fri Feb 20, 2015 at 03:18pm.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Around the 9:15 mark of the 2nd half there is a blocking foul called on UCONN #11 followed by a TF on the same player. From my living room I did not like either call.

Then there is what appears to be a pretty obvious travel that was not called with about 15 seconds or so left in the game.

Thanks
The common foul is probably a 50/50. Not knowing the game situation other than the score, I'm certainly not going to criticize the call. In a vacuum by itself, I think maybe the call was anticipated just a smidgeon too much, but I'm sure there's more to it than that.

I agree with the T. Put your arms up in disbelief for a second or two, that's fine. Leave them up for five seconds in order to show up the official = T. Doesn't matter if the call was correct or not; not the player's place to do that.

Finally, I don't see a travel on the last video. The player either never established control, or even if you judged he did, he started to fumble before the pivot foot returned to the floor. No call.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

I agree with the T. Put your arms up in disbelief for a second or two, that's fine. Leave them up for five seconds in order to show up the official = T. Doesn't matter if the call was correct or not; not the player's place to do that.
I think if the player has simply keep his hands up like he did...he may have been able to get away with it. What seals the deal for him was him picking up the ball and doing the mini toss...accompanied with the hands up look.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I don't hate or love the foul call. What I do hate is the C fishing in the T's pond.

The hands up in the air is an easy T. No problem with that at all.

No problem with the foul call in the second clip. The contact occurs before any travel in question.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

C needs to not ball-watch and leave that call alone. That said, I'm calling a T every time for that reaction.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play 2: contact occurs before pivot is replanted. It would have been a travel had the defender left him alone.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Play 2: contact occurs before pivot is replanted. It would have been a travel had the defender left him alone.
Yup. He was certainly about to travel, but never got the chance to.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:05pm
Often wrong never n doubt

#11 blue moves forward into the ball handler. I don't know if he was calling that foul late or ...

Easy T

Foul before his pivot foot comes back down.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like the defender moves obliquely, not forward. Easy to see in slo mo replay. Not so much in real time.

Foul before travel.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Looks like the defender moves obliquely, not forward. Easy to see in slo mo replay. Not so much in real time.

Foul before travel.
He clearly comes forward to make contact and then moves with him sideways. It looks to me like the foul was called on the initial contact, and the C was going to let them play through it, but the offense lost his balance as a result of it . T is easy.

Good no call on the non-travel.

Last edited by ballgame99; Mon Feb 23, 2015 at 02:45pm.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
He clearly comes forward to make contact and then moves with him sideways. It looks to me like the foul was called on the initial contact, and the C was going to let them play through it, but the offense lost his balance as a result of it . T is easy.

Good no call on the non-travel.
Good observation. I can see that.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
But that's what he did. I don't think it was intended to show the ref up, more from "disbelief" as you would say.

Looks like I'm the only one who doesnt like the T. A simple "put your hands down" is all that's needed here IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yup. Was posting this from memory but the first look at the replay showed exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
He clearly comes forward to make contact and then moves with him sideways. It looks to me like the foul was called on the initial contact, and the C was going to let them play through it, but the offense lost his balance as a result of it.

That was my thought too. But if that's the case the C has to be ball watching to pick that up from the beginning. The T who has the play all the way passes.

Last edited by VaTerp; Mon Feb 23, 2015 at 03:44pm.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 03:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Maybe - just maybe - the C was watching over there because there was a high screen set by white, and the C needs to help on that screen. As a result, he was able to pick up the body contact from the defender and put a whistle on it. I doubt that the C saw the initial contact caused by the defender moving forward, but as they came past the screen, he was able to see what was going on.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
That was my thought too. But if that's the case the C has to be ball watching to pick that up from the beginning. The T who has the play all the way passes.
I'm not sure its that simple. A rotation just happened. Just based on his lack of drop into the slot it looks like the new C either didn't realize a rotation had occurred, or he stayed high so he could stay with the matchup he had from when he was T.