The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2016, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

SJU-Oregon 9.2 seconds

On St. Joe's final meaningful possession, when Bembry muffed his own dribble to create a scrum for the ball, anyone even remotely considering travel on Oregon?

Even live, I thought Dorsey might've grabbed the ball and attempted to stand, and replay did nothing to shake the notion.

I'm not saying you call that in that situation (you probably don't) but I think a reasonable case can be made. To justify no travel, you might say he didn't have control yet when he began to stand, in which case the foul by SJU would've been a team control foul, with no game-sealing FTs attached. If you're saying he did have control, then I think traveling has to at least have been considered, however briefly.

Anyone in the held ball camp?

Quite the play. Lots going on in that split-second.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2016, 11:30pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Not me. Gotta call the obvious in that situation and I don't see an obvious travel. I immediately thought it should have been a foul and I was glad Darron George came in strong and overruled Trail's held ball signal.

Though I am sure JD is thinking Trail should have stopped the clock first.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2016, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the trail had a held ball at first too.

But if you watch it again, it seems more like a foul with one hand before the other hand goes up into to a "let's stop the clock and unpile this mess" signal.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 09:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
On St. Joe's final meaningful possession, when Bembry muffed his own dribble to create a scrum for the ball, anyone even remotely considering travel on Oregon?

Even live, I thought Dorsey might've grabbed the ball and attempted to stand, and replay did nothing to shake the notion.

I'm not saying you call that in that situation (you probably don't) but I think a reasonable case can be made. To justify no travel, you might say he didn't have control yet when he began to stand, ...
You said he might have attempted to stand. I need a better description because I did not see the play. Not everybody agrees on what attempting to stand consists of.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 21, 2016 at 09:25am.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

After he controlled the ball, then He got up off his knees. He was cradling the ball with one arm and the hand of the other arm was touching the court in addition to his 2 feet.
The officials did not have a good angle to see this. But the camera had a great angle to see this.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAM you can stand up if you have one knee down and it's not a travel. In this case it was very close so it's a good call to pass on.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 04:41pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
NCAAM you can stand up if you have one knee down and it's not a travel.
You are missing the most important part of the rule, and the only exception that allows this movement to remain legal.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
You are missing the most important part of the rule, and the only exception that allows this movement to remain legal.
Pivot foot is important....
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Where would the other foot be? In the air?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:28pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Where would the other foot be? In the air?
What other foot would you be referring to? The point is that the person must go to a knee, and stand again without moving the pivot foot in order to remain legal. Since either foot, the one on the leg with the knee touching the ground, or the one on the other leg can be the pivot foot, your comment, as usual, makes no sense. Your previous statement that a person to go to one knee and then stand and still not be called for a traveling violation is only accurate with the qualifier that the pivot foot not move.

And for the record, it would be possible, by rule to legally do this with one foot in the air.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

They can also gain possession with a knee down, so it isn't exclusive to going to a knee with the ball then getting up. These 2 differences are different than HS and in the play in mention its difficult to see in real time if all those conditions were or weren't met and so making a travel call in most cases would have been a guess.

I had a similar play this year in a JUCO game and called a travel. At half time one of my partners who has about 50+ years experience said something similar. It's a hair I have learned to not split.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the video.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not saying you call that in that situation (you probably don't) but I think a reasonable case can be made. To justify no travel, you might say he didn't have control yet when he began to stand, in which case the foul by SJU would've been a team control foul, with no game-sealing FTs attached. If you're saying he did have control, then I think traveling has to at least have been considered, however briefly.

Quite the play. Lots going on in that split-second.
In that split second travel would not have been an option for me because i don't think anybody could really tell if he had the ball and where his feet were. I tend to call jump balls early, but again, its hard to tell when they had the ball together etc. The st joe guy just dives in so i'm fine with the foul. loose balls don't mean anything goes...
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 04:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Looks like he maintains a pivot foot to me

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk