The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 04:50am
C'mon man!!

Cincinnati and St. Joseph last play of the game.

This final play is full of fun stuff. Cinci player goes up for a dunk off the pass with less than a second less. He puts it down to tie the game and send it to overtime, but time expires. After review, the bucket is wiped away. They lose by two. The part that kind of bothered me is that I thought he should have been shooting 2 for head contact on the attempted blocked shot. Thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
This final play is full of fun stuff. Cinci player goes up for a dunk off the pass with less than a second less. He puts it down to tie the game and send it to overtime, but time expires. After review, the bucket is wiped away. They lose by two. The part that kind of bothered me is that I thought he should have been shooting 2 for head contact on the attempted blocked shot. Thoughts on this?

Yes he was fouled, and I think it should have been called.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Let me ask you this? Would have noticed it, or at least been sure of it, in real time?

I think it was a foul, but I can understand how it was passed on because it's the kind of foul that you might not be sure about, and in that situation especially you need high certainty to make the call.

And of course you can't use replay to upgrade a no-call to a non-flagrant foul, so c'est la vie.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Let me ask you this? Would have noticed it, or at least been sure of it, in real time?

I think it was a foul, but I can understand how it was passed on because it's the kind of foul that you might not be sure about, and in that situation especially you need high certainty to make the call.

And of course you can't use replay to upgrade a no-call to a non-flagrant foul, so c'est la vie.
There are 3 guys watching this play most likely, if NONE of them saw the contact then whats the point of having THREE guys watch this play?
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
There are 3 guys watching this play most likely, if NONE of them saw the contact then whats the point of having THREE guys watch this play?
We don't put three guys on the court so we can maximize the odds of a whistle being put on marginal contact.

I think it's presumptuous to assume that two officials abandoned their primary and ball-watched in this situation. There was a lot of stuff to watch under the basket immediately leading up to the dunk attempt.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post

The basket would not have counted because the shot release didn't beat the buzzer, correct? Thus, two shots?
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
The basket would not have counted because the shot release didn't beat the buzzer, correct? Thus, two shots?
In NCAA, I think they'd go back and put the time on the clock at the moment the foul occurred. The dunker still gets continuous motion, so I'd say it counts...and one...with a few tenths remaining.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 11:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Buzzer Beater ???

Quote:
... dunker still gets continuous motion, so I'd say it counts...and one...
Even with continuous motion, doesn't the shot have to be released before the horn in order for the field goal to count?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Even with continuous motion, doesn't the shot have to be released before the horn in order for the field goal to count?

Why would the clock still be running between the foul and the release?

I think you are thinking of the case of a foul on an airborne shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He is partially correct. If there is definitive knowledge that the foul occurred before the timer was stopped then the basket counts. In this case it would not however due to the following case

AR114

On a foul that occurs near the expiration of time, officials must determine that the clock did not stop when the whistle sounded either because a timing mistake occurred or because it was so near the expiration of time that the timer is unable the stop the clock.

If it's a timing mistake then count the bucket and put time back on. If its the latter then basket doesn't count and award 2 FTs.

Quote:
We don't put three guys on the court so we can maximize the odds of a whistle being put on marginal contact.

I think it's presumptuous to assume that two officials abandoned their primary and ball-watched in this situation. There was a lot of stuff to watch under the basket immediately leading up to the dunk attempt.
A play like this is EXACTLY why there are 3 guys. If you think any of the officials are looking elsewhere then you are wrong. Once that ball got to the offensive player all eyes were on him.

Contact to the head is NOT marginal contact and the NCAA and NFHS has said so repeatedly. You can think that's the case but you are flat out wrong.

Last edited by deecee; Sat Mar 19, 2016 at 12:05pm.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Horn ???

Quote:
Quote:
Good point. Moving away from this specific situation, in general, in all cases, doesn't the shot have to be released before the horn (assuming no timing error) in order for the field goal to count?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Could Happen ...

Quote:
High school game. No video replay. Foul occurs with 0.1 second remaining in period. Whistle is sounded with 0.0 seconds (but no horn) remaining in period. Ball is still in shooter's hand when horn sounds. Ball enters basket. Neither official (assume two person Connecticut) is watching the scoreboard for definite knowledge.

Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 12:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Ball handler going to the rack and clock running out -- of COURSE the officials are going to be looking there.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
High school game. No video replay. Foul occurs with 0.1 second remaining in period. Whistle is sounded with 0.0 seconds (but no horn) remaining in period. Ball is still in shooter's hand when horn sounds. Ball enters basket. Neither official (assume two person Connecticut) is watching the scoreboard for definite knowledge.
This is correct for a HS game and for an NCAAW game with no monitor.

IF, in NCAAW, there is a monitor and the whistle was before the horn, put that time back up on the clock, count the basket, shoot 1 FT. I *think* the NCAAM rule is (substantially) the same.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 01:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Horn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
This is correct for a HS game.
Thank you.