The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Oak Hill (VA) vs St. Joseph (OH) (Video)

Two video clips please:
1. Action following the basket with 5:18 left in the 3rd quarter.
Delay of game violation? Intentional Personal foul? Nothing (NCAA)?

2. Live ball, contact foul during rebounding action called a T by the new Trail with 3:42 remaining in the 3rd quarter.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

And yes, Oak Hill wore gray uniforms and #3 wore a gold arm sleeve and gold headband.

I've noticed through the years that the officials who work these televised HS showcases don't enforce the uniform rules.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

I post one clip from this showcase and Nevada wants clips from all these games.

First play:

Second play:

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I'm still here...

On #1: I'm thinking that's just them getting tangled up. Grey took the shot then White - who was trailing behind - ran up his rear end trying to get the ball in play quickly. They seemed to sort it out well enough on their own.

On #2: I remember getting the RCA dog look on my face when I saw it live. I was hoping his partners might have reminded him it was live-ball contact.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And yes, Oak Hill wore gray uniforms and #3 wore a gold arm sleeve and gold headband.

I've noticed through the years that the officials who work these televised HS showcases don't enforce the uniform rules.
Most of these schools are private schools and not governed by state bodies with NFHS membership.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 10:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Play #1: Looks just like players got tangled up. I would have just stopped play to stop all that action to prevent to have to call anything else like a T or something that by rule would apply on a throw-in.

Play #2: It never can be a T for this. It could be an intentional or flagrant, but not a T. Ball was live.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Sit#1: "delay of game". gray intentionally interferred with white attempting to inbound the ball after a made basket; this is a commonly applied ruse that players use to thwart/delay the opponents initiation of the fast break action.

Sit#2: holding foul on gray; I will concede that a body on the floor would give an Official a "moment of pause" on whether to penalize the action further; however, a dramatic-appearing fall is not sufficient enough reason to apply anything other than a common foul.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Play 1 - nothing. White has the whole endline and went right into black. Play on.

Play 2 - common foul.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Play 1: Did the shot not go through the basket? It seems that W1 never did step out-of-bounds, to make the subsequent throw-in.

Play2: It looks like the infraction was effected by the left elbow of the Gray player, and thus the Lead may have confused his options regarding a foul call.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:18am
Archaic Power Monger

Mechanics question on the 2nd play:

The lead rotates over as the ball moves to the other side and it seems the C stays put. Is that a correct mechanic since the player goes up for the shot soon after the lead finishes rotating?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

NCAAM Rules

A point of clarification - I know a number of refs that officiate these games on MLK weekend at the Naismith HoF. They are assigned by college assignors and are following NCAAM rules.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Mechanics question on the 2nd play:

The lead rotates over as the ball moves to the other side and it seems the C stays put. Is that a correct mechanic since the player goes up for the shot soon after the lead finishes rotating?
The C should stay where he can officiate until it's practical for him to step out and become the trail. OK to have 2 Cs if necessary.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Play 1: Normally if the scoring team momentarily touches the ball or maybe even sets it on the floor, I'm not going to issue a DOG if there's no (dare I say it) adv/disad. However, in this case, white touches the ball first and it clearly interferes with gray's ability to inbound, regardless of whether white intended to do this, and regardless of whether gray could run the endline or not. So I have a DOG warning here. This warning also precludes any possible foul because it causes the ball to remain dead before gray has disposal.

Play 2: Hard to tell what the new L (new T) saw, so if he saw intentional or flagrant contact, I'm not going to question him. But penalizing by "T" is probably incorrect unless the foul was non-contact in nature. But it sure looked like contact was the culprit here. Assuming it was, hopefully the crew got together and determined the correct penalty.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
A point of clarification - I know a number of refs that officiate these games on MLK weekend at the Naismith HoF. They are assigned by college assignors and are following NCAAM rules.
What NCAAM rule would apply to live ball contact being a T?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

No Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
What NCAAM rule would apply to live ball contact being a T?
1. I am not an NCAAM official and have no idea if there is a difference. I am assuming from the perceived tone of your comment that there is no difference. I am wondering though - is an F1 considered a technical or is it just classified as an F1 with no relation to a T? How is it marked in the book? If someone gets 2 F1's in a game, are they DQ'd?

2. I was making a clarification based on the OP question #1.