The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Flagrant 1 in Utah/Fresno St.

47-40 in the second half. Time 11:36
Obvious holding of a leg is correctly called a flagrant 1.
Would anyone pass on this due to the fastbreak occurring and easy basket that Fresno likely is going to get?
I don't believe that holding the whistle until the team scores would be proper.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 08:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

If it were a regular foul, maybe. Since you say it was a FF1, I call it since they get free throws and the ball.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If it were a regular foul, maybe. Since you say it was a FF1, I call it since they get free throws and the ball.
I agree and think that an official would want to get this quickly to prevent any possible escalation into an altercation.

I was just curious about the thoughts of others.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 11:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the play

Peace
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 02:15am
C'mon man!!

Looks like a good call. Is there a situation where you would delay calling an intentional foul? I know you can delay a technical foul if the opposing team is in a scoring opportunity but....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Maybe - and I emphasize maybe - you could get away with it if the player who was going to take the layup had the ball when the grab took place. You might be able to argue continuous motion depending upon the timing. Since there was a pass involved before the ball got to the FSU player that was ahead of the field there really aren't any other options.

I ran into a play like this in the '14-15 season. I was T. Steal took place in front of the C. As we transition, BH/D A1 is grabbed (common foul) as she tosses a pass to A2 who has no one between her and the basket. C calls the foul. HC for Team A - I was in front of his bench as I headed to new L since it was the second half - says he understands there was contact but the call cost him two points. It actually did more than that. His team had been having all kinds of trouble against Team B's press. On the ensuing throw-in, Team A turns the ball over, gets scored on and commits a foul. After the game I asked the C whether he might have been able to wait to see how things developed on the play and he said it needed to be called so I left it alone. My feeling? I thought he could have held his whistle and seen if the pass made it to A2. If it didn't or if it looked like it wouldn't, call the foul.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Maybe - and I emphasize maybe - you could get away with it if the player who was going to take the layup had the ball when the grab took place. You might be able to argue continuous motion depending upon the timing. Since there was a pass involved before the ball got to the FSU player that was ahead of the field there really aren't any other options.

I ran into a play like this in the '14-15 season. I was T. Steal took place in front of the C. As we transition, BH/D A1 is grabbed (common foul) as she tosses a pass to A2 who has no one between her and the basket. C calls the foul. HC for Team A - I was in front of his bench as I headed to new L since it was the second half - says he understands there was contact but the call cost him two points. It actually did more than that. His team had been having all kinds of trouble against Team B's press. On the ensuing throw-in, Team A turns the ball over, gets scored on and commits a foul. After the game I asked the C whether he might have been able to wait to see how things developed on the play and he said it needed to be called so I left it alone. My feeling? I thought he could have held his whistle and seen if the pass made it to A2. If it didn't or if it looked like it wouldn't, call the foul.
One handed grab, I assume? Cause if it was with 2 hands, I'm calling it every time. They want automatics, they get automatics....
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 10:04am
Esteemed Participant

This is not like the delayed call on a T situation. This play could have easily led to retaliation/escalation if we don't have a whistle on it right away. The player being grabbed is very likely to kick at the defender or something else - we stop that by calling that FF1 immediately. I really don't see the connection between withholding a whistle on a coach or player yelling at us and this type of play. Two very, very different situations.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
One handed grab, I assume? Cause if it was with 2 hands, I'm calling it every time. They want automatics, they get automatics....
If I remember correctly it was. The player who lost the ball reached out and swiped at the kid who took it and got her arm.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)