The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

As timing would have it I just turned on the game with :31 to play. The receiver appeared to step on the end line then caught the game-tying TD in the endzone.

NCAA officials: What's the ruling on that?

Fed officials: It was IP by rule.

For Fed most of the time officials said they would rule incomplete but I don't know HOW they could do that in this situation. The receiver was running parallel to the endline then stepped on the chalk with his left foot and came about a yard in bounds to catch the TD. From the camera angle they had it looked as if he had clearly stepped out of bounds.

Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

No foul unless he is first to touch the ball after returning in-bounds. Otherwise it's a LOD foul at the prev spot, no yardage.

Is it possible he was nudged OOB by the defense?
One of the deep guys would have tossed his hat if he saw the receiver steps OOB no matter how that occurred.
In a seven man game, someone should have seen that.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

I've never seen a blue field before I watched that game. It was just so different, I couldn't help staring at the field the whole time
Old Mon Dec 27, 2004, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

The B and F were both on the end line and neither had an obstructed view. Only thing I can imagine is the TV camera's angle was deceptive and player did not actually step on end line although it sure seemed like he did.

Not long after they got another tough play with the Fresno State "TD" in OT that appears to have not actually been a TD. It was a long gainer so the B and F would have had the call again. NOt sure what they were seeing.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
The B and F were both on the end line and neither had an obstructed view. Only thing I can imagine is the TV camera's angle was deceptive and player did not actually step on end line although it sure seemed like he did.

Not long after they got another tough play with the Fresno State "TD" in OT that appears to have not actually been a TD. It was a long gainer so the B and F would have had the call again. NOt sure what they were seeing.
TXMike,

IMHO, if the player is forced out, as long as he comes back in immediately, there is no foul for being the first to touch the ball.

Second, it is not the B and the F, it would be the S and the F making that call. The B is starting on the end line in that situation.

Are you slipping on us??

UE
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

1st - There was no evidence of a force out

2d - The play started at the 25. Why would the B be on the end line?
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

The receiver did step out (on his own) and the B was out of position. The crew did not have a good game. During time outs the U was spinning the ball around on his fingers, bounching the ball off the carpet. Way too many get togethers during dead ball periods. Late flags, questionable calls, etc...Jumbotron at stadium tells it all.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
In a seven man game, someone should have seen that.
Not that I'm trying to be disagreeable, but...I remember a couple of years ago, Pittsburgh was playing Indy in the AFC Championship game. The Pgh. receiver (I think it was Kordell Stewart) stepped on the end line--not a push out or anything like that, although in the NFL I'm thinking it does not matter(?)--and then caught a TD. No flag or anything--the TD stood.