Two Block Charge Calls (Videos)

You make the call.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 10:54pm
Stubborn Member

Two charges
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Both charges, but I would rather see the Lead get the opportunity to make the call on the second one. The C never gave him the chance.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 11:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Both charges, but I would rather see the Lead get the opportunity to make the call on the second one. The C never gave him the chance.
Well that is not how it is taught (at least here). We like to give the C the shot at this play as it come totally from their area. I have no issues with who called it either way and that is likely why the L laid off the signal.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well that is not how it is taught (at least here). We like to give the C the shot at this play as it come totally from their area. I have no issues with who called it either way and that is likely why the L laid off the signal.

Peace
I'm surprised to hear that. White #1 is the primary defender and the charge is taken by a secondary defender. I believe that the primary defender and dribbler obscure the view of the C from the secondary defender. I certainly wouldn't teach that this is the C's play.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 11:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear that. White #1 is the primary defender and the charge is taken by a secondary defender. I believe that the primary defender and dribbler obscure the view of the C from the secondary defender. I certainly wouldn't teach that this is the C's play.
That is fine, but this is what we do here for the most part as I stated. The ball is coming from the Center all the way hard to the basket, not hard to pick up the defender who is really on the outside of the lane. No problem with the double whistle, but they do not really want the Lead calling that across the lane. Been doing it that way for years and it keeps from there being a "blarge" IMO.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree. We also teach that this is the lead's since the secondary defender came from within the lead's primary to set up for the charge.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 09:56am
NFHS Official

Both PC.

On the second one. I've been told on a play like this, that the C gets first crack. It came from their primary, and the lead is on the opposite side of the lane. We've been told if it comes from the trail then the lead can take it.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

PreGame

This is why we should always have a pregame discussion. It appears that officials have a difference of opinions as who has this call. The Center or the Lead official.
My only 2 cents is that if the Center official takes this call, then s/he should step a little closer to the play. This official is almost at the intersection of the top of the key extended and sideline.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 11:42am
beware big brother

Quote:

Peace
Unfortunately what Rut said is true. This is how HS officials are taught to handle this player in our area. The few times a year I work HS games, we pregame that L is taking these plays when they involve secondary defenders. Often, at least one member of the crew isn't familiar with the concept of secondary defenders, so we end up just going with L gets first crack on all these plays and as T or C it is ok to have a whistle, but you need to hold your preliminary signal.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 01:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Look like 2 good calls to me. 2nd crash was outside the paint on the C's side, so I have no problem with him taking that call.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Unfortunately what Rut said is true. This is how HS officials are taught to handle this player in our area. The few times a year I work HS games, we pregame that L is taking these plays when they involve secondary defenders. Often, at least one member of the crew isn't familiar with the concept of secondary defenders, so we end up just going with L gets first crack on all these plays and as T or C it is ok to have a whistle, but you need to hold your preliminary signal.
I have done it this way for as long as I can remember. I do not like the idea of a Lead calling across the lane. If they have something to call, get the heck over there. Secondary defenders are not difficult for a C in this case as they are seeing where the ball handler is going. Now if the contact is totally in the lane the play came down the middle of the lane, I would agree. But to me the Center say the entire thing. The Lead should know this and at least be slower.

I think that is more of a college concept and was started because the Lead officials acted like they did not know how to have a double whistle.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have done it this way for as long as I can remember. I do not like the idea of a Lead calling across the lane. If they have something to call, get the heck over there.
There is nothing magical about a stripe painted on the floor. That defender came from the middle of the paint and got maybe a few inches across the lane line. It isn't like the L is calling something 30 feet away. The L had no reason, before the contact, to even be over there. The L was tracking that defender from the middle of the paint to the point of contact. Only the L saw the whole play. At best, the C picked up the defender at the last moment.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 04:44pm
AremRed

Both charges. No problem with C taking the 2nd one, but he needs to be lower and closer to FTLE. Getting in the right position lends more credibility to his call.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 05:03pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
I have done it this way for as long as I can remember. I do not like the idea of a Lead calling across the lane. If they have something to call, get the heck over there. Secondary defenders are not difficult for a C in this case as they are seeing where the ball handler is going. Now if the contact is totally in the lane the play came down the middle of the lane, I would agree. But to me the Center say the entire thing. The Lead should know this and at least be slower.
This is the way I learned it as well. C takes it all the way to the basket, L has a patient whistle and gets it if he needs to get it. 2 charges by the way.