The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Excellent info and a problem with the replay system that the NCAA/conference needs to fix.
I understand how plays can look very different from various angles. I believe that one of the issues here was that the calling official had a deceptive angle and came out of his primary for what he believed to be a non-basketball play that the crew had to get. Unfortunately, the studies which show that we are wrong about 70% of the time when we call in our secondary areas proved true here and the angle of view got your friend into trouble.
I really doubt that studies show that the calls in a secondary are wrong 70% of the time. I suspect that is a made-up number more than an actual result of a study. Sure, they may be less accurate than in the primary, but I really doubt it drops that much on the kinds of plays people go get.

This call, specifically, wasn't wrong. The calling official didn't call an FF1 live. he called a personal foul...and it was. They went to video, which should be even better than a primary call, and then got it wrong because they didn't have the right view.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 06:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I really doubt that studies show that the calls in a secondary are wrong 70% of the time. ....
I've heard that calling outside of your primary is only 70% accurate, not 70% wrong.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I've heard that calling outside of your primary is only 70% accurate, not 70% wrong.
I could believe that. Your accuracy may drop, but it doesn't disappear. If it did, there would be little value in reviewing any video that didn't include 3-4 angles. Either way, I'm guessing the number is just made up or generated after someone viewed a relatively small set of plays and not a large comprehensive study. Furthermore, depending on the point you want to prove, a lot of judgement calls could be classified either way (as correct or incorrect), significantly skewing the results.

The question to ask then, regarding situations outside of your primary, would be whether it is better to call something or not call something. If you make the all, you'd be right 70% of the time and be wrong 30%. But, to not make that call you'd be wrong 70% of the time but be right 30% of the time. If officials are patient when calling outside of their primary, and only go get something they're confident in and believe needs to be called, it seems that the better option, at least regarding contact, is still to make the call since you're still much more likely to be right than wrong.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Excellent info and a problem with the replay system that the NCAA/conference needs to fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Its amazing they can use a tool and then are not given all the angles to get the call right...
Here's a novel concept. Have a second monitor next to the main one that is showing a live feed of the TV broadcast (if applicable).

We know the networks will continue filling dead air time by showing multiple looks of the replay over and over as long as the officials are at the table. So while they're there, they should be able to get the looks piped in by the primary monitor as well as what home viewers are seeing at the same time.

Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Here's a novel concept. Have a second monitor next to the main one that is showing a live feed of the TV broadcast (if applicable).

We know the networks will continue filling dead air time by showing multiple looks of the replay over and over as long as the officials are at the table. So while they're there, they should be able to get the looks piped in by the primary monitor as well as what home viewers are seeing at the same time.

Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.
The game officials are supposed to be offered all video available from the network.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The game officials are supposed to be offered all video available from the network.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Don't disagree, but we hear time and time again of these feed issues at the table. It's getting old.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Tue Mar 15, 2016 at 10:23pm. Reason: Apparently can't spell homophones correctly after 11pm.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Don't disagree, but we here time and time again of these feed issues at the table. It's getting old.
But we've been informed on many occasions by the NCAA-M's brass that all feeds are supposed to be available. So we don't need a novel idea, we need process in place to be done properly.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I concur. I believe that I reversed the stats in my previous post.