The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 05:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is not totally reliable, but the broadcaster said they saw all the same replays that they showed on TV. Now whether they had actually seen them that is another story. But if that is the case, it was a bad miss on replay.

Peace
Yeah, I hear that from the talking heads all the time...but judging by the reactions of the man and lady right behind the table, I don't think they saw that baseline camera shot. Not much to go by, but watch the lady and her reaction...I don't think the crew saw all the same angles.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 08:42pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Yeah, I hear that from the talking heads all the time...but judging by the reactions of the man and lady right behind the table, I don't think they saw that baseline camera shot. Not much to go by, but watch the lady and her reaction...I don't think the crew saw all the same angles.
Jay Bilas just confirmed during the ND-NC game that the game officials did not get a look at the same video replays the broadcasters did.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 09:02pm
High Five Master

He also bemoaned a charge call earlier in the UNC-ND game "that's not a charge, he turned away, you can't do that". When he first started broadcasting a lot of games I was hopeful. Now I'm just disappointed.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 11:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
By rule, in NFHS, it could happen. Not sure if it is NCAA as well. I've never called it but I believe a saw some posts here in the past that others have.
Can only call it if is seen during a monitor review.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 03:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

In the ODU Middle Tennessee State game a similar situation. The score was 21 to 20 at the time they went to the monitor but I don't know the time on a clock. I think they really could have called a technical for faking being fouled.

Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 04:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Vid request: FS1 ODU/MTSU 3:57 of 1st Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In the ODU Middle Tennessee State game a similar situation. The score was 21 to 20 at the time they went to the monitor but I don't know the time on a clock. I think they really could have called a technical for faking being fouled.

It starts about the 3:57 mark of the 1st half, and the game is on FS1.

Thanks.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 05:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
By rule, in NFHS, it could happen. Not sure if it is NCAA as well. I've never called it but I believe a saw some posts here in the past that others have.
I have once, but in an elementary level YMCA game.

After a warning, and the flop was "egregious".
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 07:05pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I have once, but in an elementary level YMCA game.

After a warning, and the flop was "egregious".

Meanie. Picking on elem school kids.

I knew it was someone here but couldn't recall who and that it was just like you described above
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 09:36am

Talked with the "C" who called it and is a very good friend of mine. They did not see the baseline angle and said from the angles they had to review at the monitor, it was a no brainer that he got hit in the chin with the elbow. Having seen the baseline angle afterward, still had a foul but would not have been FF1. Just letting you know.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 09:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Bumping to see if we can still get this one. 3:57 mark of the 1st half on FS1.

Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I worked a game where one was called but it was a mess.

PLayer A was leaning away from contact and bailing out early all night. No idea how much trying to fake being fouled and how much was him just being soft. My partner warned him and then warned the coach.

2nd half player is defending the ball when he gets blown by on a ripthrough and go. Instead of sliding gets blown up and hits the ground like he's been hit by a shotgun blast. My partner immediately blows the play dead and calls a T for flopping. Kid gets up spits blood on my partners shoe, causes a scene and gets tossed.

UGLY.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Downgrade to no call?

Just curious if anyone downgrades this play to a no call and go with POI given you saw the angles we did. I know that we can do this in NCAAW, but not sure if Men can do it. To me it looks like player going in with hands extended to "set up" his fool the referee play. I'd take the foul away and that player will have a harder time getting a foul call the rest of the night because I will have to evaluate if he is trying to fool me again.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I worked a game where one was called but it was a mess.

PLayer A was leaning away from contact and bailing out early all night. No idea how much trying to fake being fouled and how much was him just being soft. My partner warned him and then warned the coach.

2nd half player is defending the ball when he gets blown by on a ripthrough and go. Instead of sliding gets blown up and hits the ground like he's been hit by a shotgun blast. My partner immediately blows the play dead and calls a T for flopping. Kid gets up spits blood on my partners shoe, causes a scene and gets tossed.

UGLY.
Sounds like your partner blew it. He should stop penalizing players for doing what they're legally permitted to do. That mentality led him into a bad call.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Talked with the "C" who called it and is a very good friend of mine. They did not see the baseline angle and said from the angles they had to review at the monitor, it was a no brainer that he got hit in the chin with the elbow. Having seen the baseline angle afterward, still had a foul but would not have been FF1. Just letting you know.
Excellent info and a problem with the replay system that the NCAA/conference needs to fix.
I understand how plays can look very different from various angles. I believe that one of the issues here was that the calling official had a deceptive angle and came out of his primary for what he believed to be a non-basketball play that the crew had to get. Unfortunately, the studies which show that we are wrong about 70% of the time when we call in our secondary areas proved true here and the angle of view got your friend into trouble.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Thanks walt. That is really awesome insight. Its amazing they can use a tool and then are not given all the angles to get the call right...