Do not give a damn!!

MAAC Title Game: Several Plays (Video)

Play 1:

Play 2:

Play 3:

Play 4:

Play 5: Added.....

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Mar 07, 2016 at 09:47pm.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:50pm
High Five Master

Plays 1 and 2 I don't see as fouls. In #1, looked like the shooter flailed a lot, which generally is an attempt to gain a whistle. In #2, trail was right there and had nothing but he also didn't mark the attempt so maybe it was below the line and it was leads call. I'm on my phone so it's hard to see. Our laptop is the first ever dell prototype so it is rarely ever used. In 3, the taunt, I assume the lead also heard what was said. And I don't know what coach was saying, can't read his lips that well but looked like he was trying to work the ref pretty good. In 4, i could go either way but I think it's correct. Pretty good hip check as he is receiving the pass, before the catch/shot.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:53pm
High Five Master

Just saw you added 5: looks like a block. Defender jumped and maintained vertical but jumped from RA.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
In #2, trail was right there and had nothing but he also didn't mark the attempt ...
Trail did mark the attempt with his left (tableside) hand. Not a good get by the Lead because there was nothing to get.

And I think we'd all agree, especially with the benefit of replay, No. 1 is nothing either.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just saw you added 5: looks like a block. Defender jumped and maintained vertical but jumped from RA.
If he jumps to block the shot and has verticality, it cannot be a RA Block. The RA block is only when a secondary defender sets up to take a charge.

If the player is jumping to block a shot, this cannot be a RA play.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
RA does not apply when the defender jumps. So it is judged as it would without the RA coming a factor.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

No. 3, have to trust the official there. As for the coach's profane and prolonged reaction, we have zoom and can all read his lips. If any of that was audible, that's automatic T material. No judgement required. But maybe in that environment, especially with the calling (targeted) official opposite, it just melted into the background.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
No. 3, have to trust the official there. As for the coach's profane and prolonged reaction, we have zoom and can all read his lips. If any of that was audible, that's automatic T material. No judgement required. But maybe in that environment, especially with the calling (targeted) official opposite, it just melted into the background.
If you saw this game, there was a lot of talking and reaction to a lot of things in this game. Something tells me this was addressed directly and this player just did not listen. It was very contentious and a lot of reactions to calls and situations.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

#1. Good call...the defender never stopped walking into the shooter's space and there was contact as he was moving forward.

#2. Another good get...the shooter got smacked in the face. No place for that as it wasn't anywhere near the ball.

#3. The body language sure looked like what would go along with taunting....I'm sure the official had it right.

#4. While he may have been contacted prior to the start of the shot, he was still being contacted during the shot...count it and shoot 1. SDF.

#5. I don't see anything the defender did wrong. He jumped vertically. RA doesn't apply when the player jumps to block the shot.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

#3. The body language sure looked like what would go along with taunting....I'm sure the official had it right.
I am convinced the official not only saw the body language, but heard him too. He did not hesitate one second to give out that T.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am convinced the official not only saw the body language, but heard him too. He did not hesitate one second to give out that T.

Peace
Agree.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

1. I don't have a whistle on this one. The offensive player is jumping into the defender. Of course, the defender isn't perfect either, but to penalize just the defense isn't fair.

2. I believe that there is a slight touch to the face. Strangely the shooter doesn't even react to it. As Lead, I'm letting the Trail make this decision. What is being missed near the basket, if the Lead is looking out there?

3. That's definitely taunting by the player and a partner should have whacked the coach for his tirade afterwards.

4. The foul was WAY before the player began going up. In fact, he is actually bending downward when fouled and then comes back up after the foul. The official got this correct.

5. The defender does a great job and nothing wrong. I have no whistle at all on this play.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

1) After watching the replay, the defender is still moving into the shooting when contact occurs, so I guess by rule the call is correct. That said, in real time, I would have passed on this as the contact appeared to be initiated by the offensive player.

2. Given that he was looking there (which seemed odd but I know college may be different), it's a good call as the player does take a shot to the face. Good mechanics also to communicate what happened.

3. Seems like the official was already on alert for something here -- probably not the first time in this game that player had done something to catch the officials attention. Good call. Assuming the coach isn't out of the floor making a scene, I'd tend do do what the officials here did and ignore him while the free throws are occurring. At least from the video it doesn't look like anything that can't be ignored from the coach.

4. The official called the foul on the initial contact, which was before the shot.

5. In real time, it didn't appear the defender did anything wrong. However, on replay, the defender's left hand goes into the body of the player and may have contacted the shooters arm as well. The offensive player also pushes off, but the official would have had a good angle to see the defender's left hand so I assume that was what was called.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

2. I believe that there is a slight touch to the face. Strangely the shooter doesn't even react to it. As Lead, I'm letting the Trail make this decision. What is being missed near the basket, if the Lead is looking out there?
Nothing was missed near the basket. That is always such a weak argument.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

1. Good call. Defender nowhere near vertical and coming forward.
2. I do not think that is a good get. May have been a foul, but the T is right there and there are rebounders battling the L needs to be looking at.
3. I know if a coach yelled across the court "that's bullshit, that's a terrible call" I wouldn't have much choice but to give an additional T.
4. Good call. Push foul came as he received the pass, caused a travel, and he was fouled again on his way up. From the initial angle I said count it, but from the low angle you can see the initial push.
5. PC. No-call at worst. You can't penalize that defender. I go PC on this because offensive player leads with an elbow and displaces the defender quite a bit. That would be an interesting discussion with the coach, especially with a minute left in the game, but it would be the right call.