The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I agree 100% with this. But since this is my first year, I am pretty much accepting everything that comes my way, to get more experience, and to show the assignors that I am willing to hep them out.

But you are right, a lot of those details were a surprise to me when I got to the gym. Turns out it wasn't 40+, it was 17-20. Fee was half of what I was expecting...
Never accept any game without knowing what your fee is. It shouldn't be a mystery. This is a business.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Never accept any game without knowing what your fee is. It shouldn't be a mystery. This is a business.
I wonder -- how was the assignment communicated? Was it with Arbiter or another tool that showed a game fee?

You should know particulars before you accept a game. I know I'm piling on.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Turns out it wasn't 40+, it was 17-20.
You lucked out then, at least in terms of what you could've been dealing with. This age group is not the source of the men's league horror stories you've heard so often.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wonder -- how was the assignment communicated? Was it with Arbiter or another tool that showed a game fee?

You should know particulars before you accept a game. I know I'm piling on.
You can pile on, I'm still learning! My first 40 games were all Arbiter, with fees shown for most. These were the first games I ever did just by text.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You can pile on, I'm still learning! My first 40 games were all Arbiter, with fees shown for most. These were the first games I ever did just by text.
What were you paid? For games like this, I'd expect no more than $25 each around here.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What were you paid? For games like this, I'd expect no more than $25 each around here.
Good guess! $25 it was. I had been getting $58 for Freshman and JV, and $50 for 5th thru 8th grade travel, so I just assumed......Oh well!
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Good guess! $25 it was. I had been getting $58 for Freshman and JV, and $50 for 5th thru 8th grade travel, so I just assumed......Oh well!
Rec ball pays considerably less than organized school ball. Some of us don't work much at all, partially for that reason.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWxHFMog9w

3:06 is my favorite part of the video.
I love it....

My favorite is "Mr. Pants Guy". It's 110 out here? Why is he always wearing pants?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:45am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
the biggest surprise was that it was NCAA rules! I had only done HS, and rec with local rules. My partner was also surprised at the NCAA rules. When I accepted the game, I asked the assignor to send me a link to the local rules. He said that I would find out at the game. If I had known it was NCAA, I could have looked up the differences between NFHS and NCAA ahead of time. (that chart in the NFHS book)
Don't worry about it too much... I'd say that 90-95% of things are the same as High school... I can only think of four things that would be different that people would probably know off the top of their heads:
1) restricted arc under the basket (which you probably didn't have on the court anyway)
2) three-point line being farther out (which probably wasn't marked that way anyway)
3) 30-second shot clock (which you probably didn't have)
4) game clock stops after a made basket under 1:00 in the second half (which may not matter if it's a running-time game, as most rec games are).

Had a similar situation a couple years back when I agreed to work a semi-pro football game... found out just after we arrived at the field that they were "using 100% unmodified NFL rules". As officials we took that to mean "ok, we need two feet inbounds for a catch, and the clock doesn't stop on a first down inbounds, but other than that, just call the game like you would anywhere else". Nobody noticed the difference.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Don't worry about it too much... I'd say that 90-95% of things are the same as High school... I can only think of four things that would be different that people would probably know off the top of their heads:
1) restricted arc under the basket (which you probably didn't have on the court anyway)
2) three-point line being farther out (which probably wasn't marked that way anyway)
3) 30-second shot clock (which you probably didn't have)
4) game clock stops after a made basket under 1:00 in the second half (which may not matter if it's a running-time game, as most rec games are).

Had a similar situation a couple years back when I agreed to work a semi-pro football game... found out just after we arrived at the field that they were "using 100% unmodified NFL rules". As officials we took that to mean "ok, we need two feet inbounds for a catch, and the clock doesn't stop on a first down inbounds, but other than that, just call the game like you would anywhere else". Nobody noticed the difference.
All four of your assumptions were correct!!