The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

What struck me as particularly shocking was the cavalier attitude of the executive director. Not a word of explanation why the hour delay was unavoidable. And to essentially ignore the shooting percentages?

What is the point of the referee's responsibility, under 2-4-1, to "inspect and approve all equipment, including court"?

Last edited by LRZ; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 09:09pm.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Ha,
we waited for 30 minutes yesterday for a goal to be hand cranked for a middle school basketball game after the motor broke. The concession lady treated us nice!
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 10:11am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Ha,

we waited for 30 minutes yesterday for a goal to be hand cranked for a middle school basketball game after the motor broke. The concession lady treated us nice!

I've even been one to help crank the silly thing or to grab a rake in softball to try to get a game in or get it finished. Seems very odd they couldn't take an hour to get this corrected.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Yet no one thought of an obvious solution, put tape down a foot inside the normal ft line
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Yet no one thought of an obvious solution, put tape down a foot inside the normal ft line
That's not a good solution.
Are you also going to move all of the marked lane spaces? Are you also going to move the 3pt line?
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's not a good solution.
Are you also going to move all of the marked lane spaces? Are you also going to move the 3pt line?

Sure why not

I can either move everyone down a space or tape em too

same with 3...either play with as is or tape it

EVERY FT is shot at 15...not every three is shot at 19'9

In fact i would say a large percentage of 3pt shots in hs games on college courts are shot behind the college 3 anyway

Last edited by eyezen; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 10:37am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sure why not

I can either move everyone down a space or tape em too

same with 3...either play with as is or tape it

EVERY FT is shot at 15...not every three is shot at 19'9

In fact i would say a large percentage of 3pt shots in hs games on college courts are shot behind the college 3 anyway
While your solution has some merit, if you are going to go through this trouble, then just use the time to move the darn baskets!
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I actually think that's true. The 20'9" line is usually much more distinct/dark, and it seems like that's what the players focus on when setting up around the perimeter. I don't even think they realize they're putting themselves at a disadvantage most of the time. That, or they like the macho aspect of nailing a 3 on a college court from behind the college line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

I assume that these baskets are the moveable stanchion type of baskets? If so, then these baskets are always anchored to the floor in the back, as well as two large pins that drop down into bored out holes on the floor in the front. The only safe way to have a basket set up and be used in game play is like this. When a movable stanchion is simply set up without securing it to the floor, it is usually only for practice or something like that where there are "No dunking" restrictions. For the Georgia 6A (by the way, I like how the article couldn't just say 6A, but rather AAAAAA. I don't like counting while I read.) state championships, you can't tell me there aren't kids that are going to be throwing it down.

So now that I've wrote that, I think I'm convinced that the baskets were NOT of this type, otherwise it would be both unsafe, and the 1 hour claim would be ridiculous. Anyone actually see or have a picture of the court setup?
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I assume that these baskets are the moveable stanchion type of baskets? If so, then these baskets are always anchored to the floor in the back, as well as two large pins that drop down into bored out holes on the floor in the front. The only safe way to have a basket set up and be used in game play is like this. When a movable stanchion is simply set up without securing it to the floor, it is usually only for practice or something like that where there are "No dunking" restrictions. For the Georgia 6A (by the way, I like how the article couldn't just say 6A, but rather AAAAAA. I don't like counting while I read.) state championships, you can't tell me there aren't kids that are going to be throwing it down.

So now that I've wrote that, I think I'm convinced that the baskets were NOT of this type, otherwise it would be both unsafe, and the 1 hour claim would be ridiculous. Anyone actually see or have a picture of the court setup?

Ok, upon further review, there are so many more questions/comments I have.

1) 1 hour is ridiculous. 1 person could literally do this in under 10 minutes. Only possible explanation is that the padlock generally on the pin to lower the backboard down was missing the key, or someone not there had it, or something like that. Bolt cutters would be the solution.

2) The casual fan or even player might not notice anything weird on first glance, but if this court is ever used for college games (I can't tell from the picture) then there is also the RA arc under the hoop, wouldn't that absolutely obviously give it away that something was wrong?

3) 1 hour is ridiculous. See #1.

4) Why would coaches not be informed about this? Why keep it a secret and then acknowledge afterwards that you knew but thought everything was fair?

5) If team A shoots 90% from the line, and they play team B who has other strengths, but only shoots 50%, you think that doesn't put team A at a huge disadvantage to change the one thing they're the best at?

6) Thank God this didn't occur in Indiana, or the point made by Gene Hackman as Norman Dale would've been rendered completely moot.

7) 1 hour is ridiculous. Again, see #1....

Last edited by frezer11; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 09:32pm. Reason: Image didn't show
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

The really odd thing is the GHSA has held the basketball championships in the Macon Centerplex for decades. I attended the finals one year in the late 90s when I lived in GA. It's not as though anyone should have been surprised the games would be played at the site.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Here are a couple of screen shots from one of the games...

Again, GHSA's handling of the situation doesn't make sense.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Wow, actually seeing the photo during FTs makes it all the more insane. You'd have to be nearly out of bounds to even attempt a layup!
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

This seems like a story I would read in the Onion.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Wow, actually seeing the photo during FTs makes it all the more insane. You'd have to be nearly out of bounds to even attempt a layup!

Yeah, that HAD to have been noticeable when shooting FTs in warm-ups. You can tell when you're heaving it an extra foot from what your arms and brain are used to.

And yet the players and coaches appeared to say nothing. Or so the article would lead you to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk