The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   State championship games played on non-regulation baskets (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101025-state-championship-games-played-non-regulation-baskets.html)

voiceoflg Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:31am

State championship games played on non-regulation baskets

From the AJC

twocentsworth Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:35am

Per the article, it would take about 1hr to move the baskets closer to the court?....What!?! Arena staff must be union!

Nevadaref Sun Mar 06, 2016 04:21am

This is an embarrassment. The administrators should be ashamed.

In fact, everyone involved with the setup of the facility and the state governing board running the event should not receive any pay for the days of the tournament. The money should be donated to the schools or a charity.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 06, 2016 05:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 983241)
This is an embarrassment. The administrators should be ashamed.

In fact, everyone involved with the setup of the facility and the state governing board running the event should not receive any pay for the days of the tournament. The money should be donated to the schools or a charity.

They certainly should have taken the time to reconfigure the baskets to be in the correct spots.

BillyMac Sun Mar 06, 2016 07:10am

Better Late Then Never ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 983243)
They certainly should have taken the time to reconfigure the baskets to be in the correct spots.

Agree. An hour? What's the big deal? Wait. Get it right. We had a state tournament game delayed thirty minutes the other night to accommodate a bus stuck in traffic. It wasn't a big deal. It was announced to the crowd and the concession stand made a fortune. Most in the crowd spent the extra time messing around with their smart phones.

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 06, 2016 07:17am

Agree. VERY poor decision by the state. To know about it before the game and not make it right is unacceptable.

I wonder if any officials were aware or noticed it? If it were me and I noticed, as part of my Rule 2 duties I'd insist the problem be corrected before the game started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Mar 06, 2016 07:45am

Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Meatloaf, 1977)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 983250)
If it were me and I noticed, as part of my Rule 2 duties I'd insist the problem be corrected before the game started.

And, after your well intentioned, rational, and correct, insistence, what if the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is? What's your next move?

What's it gonna be, boy?

Fish, or cut bait?

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 06, 2016 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 983252)
And, after your well intentioned, rational, and correct, insistence, what if the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is? What's your next move?

What's it gonna be, boy?

Fish, or cut bait?

When the boss says work, I'll work. But there's an element of poetic justice in knowing that they know that I know. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Mar 06, 2016 08:09am

Poetic Justice Mentioned On The Forum ??? Pretty High Brow Stuff ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 983253)
When the boss says work, I'll work. But there's an element of poetic justice in knowing that they know that I know.

Good answer. Now where's that darn like button? Wait? I'm being told ... The Forum? Not Facebook? Then I'll just make my own like button.
https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Ma4...=0&w=300&h=300

Raymond Sun Mar 06, 2016 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 983254)
Good answer. Now where's that darn like button? Wait? I'm being told ... The Forum? Not Facebook? Then I'll just make my own like button.
https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Ma4...=0&w=300&h=300

There is a Like button on the smart phone app.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Mar 06, 2016 08:22am

Now I Have To Go And Yell At The Neighborhood Kids To Get Off My Front Lawn ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 983255)
There is a Like button on the smart phone app.

What's a smart phone? How can anything be smarter than my good old flip phone? I can call anybody in the world with my flip phone. It even takes low definition photos. And, I'm told that my flip phone can text, if somebody can just show me how this texting thing works. How can a phone be any better than that?

Nevadaref Sun Mar 06, 2016 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 983252)

What's it gonna be, boy?

Fish, or cut bait?

I would not officiate the contest. They can find someone else if they wish to play with incorrect placement of the baskets. Those are fundamental to the game.

BillyMac Sun Mar 06, 2016 08:43am

What If ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 983258)
I would not officiate the contest. They can find someone else if they wish to play with incorrect placement of the baskets. Those are fundamental to the game.

Strong answer. Nice job sticking up to your high principles.

But what if it was only a one inch error on the court? Or, it was discovered that both baskets were a half an inch too high? And that it would take twenty four hours to make the adjustment? And that there were 12,000 fans in the Macon Centreplex waiting for the game to begin? And then the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is?

A one foot difference? A one hour wait? I believe that I would be as insistent as Nevadaref under those parameters, but what about lesser problems that couldn't be fixed in a short time frame? Both rims one quarter of an inch too short? Can't be fixed for a week? We're probably playing basketball. Rims eleven feet high? Forty-five minute delay? We'll wait. Rims eleven feet high? Twenty-four hour delay? No way we're playing tonight.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 06, 2016 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 983263)
Strong answer. Nice job sticking up to your high principles. But what if it was only a one inch error on the court? Or, it was discovered that both baskets were a half an inch too high? And that it would take twenty four hours to make the adjustment? And that there were 12,000 fans in the Macon Centreplex waiting for the game to begin? And then the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is?

The smaller the error the less likely that anyone is to notice.
However, to take your hypothetical to the extreme, if the baskets are an inch off and for whatever reason they cannot be fixed until the next day, I would think that consulting with the teams would be the right thing to do. Either one of them should have the right to protest playing under improper conditions. I would honor such.

Of course, Billy, you realize that what you are asking is like saying that the only ball which can be found for the boys State Championship game is a girls basketball. It's not going to happen. Somehow, someway, the issue will get fixed.

I'm shocked that the directors, officials, and teams all knew that the baskets were a full foot out of place and that it wouldn't take that long too fix it, yet did nothing about it for the kids. These were games that they will remember for the rest of their lives. You know what they will remember most now? Yep, that the adminstrators didn't care enough to get the damn baskets properly placed. What a shame.

BillyMac Sun Mar 06, 2016 09:06am

What The Hell Were They Thinking ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 983265)
The smaller the error the less likely that anyone is to notice ... I would think that consulting with the teams would be the right thing to do. Either one of them should have the right to protest playing under improper conditions ... only ball which can be found for the boys State Championship game is a girls basketball. It's not going to happen. Somehow, someway, the issue will get fixed ... I'm shocked that the directors, officials, and teams all knew that the baskets were a full foot out of place and that it wouldn't take that long too fix it, yet did nothing about it ...

Agree. And I'm as shocked as you.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mfc...=0&w=300&h=300