The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Last Second Shot Ruling

Unlikely play, but I have been asked about this twice in the last year. What is the ruling on the following High School play: At the end of the quarter a player throws the ball the length of the court for a last second try. Before the horn sounds: a) The ball bounces outside the 3 point line and then goes through the basket? b) The ball bounces inside the 3-point line and then goes through the basket?

If the horn sounds before the ball bounces, it is 'end of quarter', no basket. But what about in this situation?
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
Unlikely play, but I have been asked about this twice in the last year. What is the ruling on the following High School play: At the end of the quarter a player throws the ball the length of the court for a last second try. Before the horn sounds: a) The ball bounces outside the 3 point line and then goes through the basket? b) The ball bounces inside the 3-point line and then goes through the basket?

If the horn sounds before the ball bounces, it is 'end of quarter', no basket. But what about in this situation?
If the ball goes in after the bounce and before the horn sounds it's 2 points. If the horn sounds AT ANY POINT and the ball bounces (or after the ball bounces) and the ball then goes through it's 0 points.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Is either a try or tap? If no, no points.

(By definition, they are not)
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If the ball goes in after the bounce and before the horn sounds it's 2 points. If the horn sounds AT ANY POINT and the ball bounces (or after the ball bounces) and the ball then goes through it's 0 points.
Thanks for the quick reply deecee. To summarize: Regardless of where the ball bounces on the court, it is counted as 2 points only? If the horn sounds at any time before the ball enters the hoop, it is not a goal?

Thanks again!
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Correct
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul n View Post
thanks for the quick reply deecee. To summarize: Regardless of where the ball bounces on the court, it is counted as 2 points only? If the horn sounds at any time before the ball passes through the hoop, it is not a goal?

Thanks again!
fify
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
Thanks for the quick reply deecee. To summarize: Regardless of where the ball bounces on the court, it is counted as 2 points only? If the horn sounds at any time before the ball enters the hoop, it is not a goal?

Thanks again!
Shot released: Horn sounds, Balls hits the floor; shot over; no basket!
Shot released: Ball hits the floor (becomes airborne again), horn sounds, ball goes in; count it!
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Shot released: Horn sounds, Balls hits the floor; shot over; no basket!
Shot released: Ball hits the floor (becomes airborne again), horn sounds, ball goes in; count it!

Some might say that 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

I'm not in that group.

Your second statement is clearly not correct. There's a specific case play on it, I think.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I'm not in that group.

Your second statement is clearly not correct. There's a specific case play on it, I think.
So if its bounced, it has to enter the basket before the horn sounds?
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
So if its bounced, it has to enter the basket before the horn sounds?
When does a try end? When does a period end when a try is in flight? When does a period end when a try isn't in flight?
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I'm not in that group.

"2 out of 3 aint bad" --Meatloaf

1 out of two…not good…bad here…and the exact play is in the case book as you said.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

5.1.1 SITUATION B:

A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 is in flight when the horn sounds indicating the expiration of time in the third quarter. The ball subsequently comes down several feet in front of the basket, strikes the floor without touching any player and bounces into the basket.

RULING: When deemed a pass and not a try, the ball becomes dead immediately when the horn sounds. However, a try or tap by A1 towards A's basket does not become dead until the try or tap ends, which it does when it touches the floor. Therefore, no points are scored. (4-41-2, 4-41-4, 4-41-5)
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
5.1.1 SITUATION B:

A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 is in flight when the horn sounds indicating the expiration of time in the third quarter. The ball subsequently comes down several feet in front of the basket, strikes the floor without touching any player and bounces into the basket.

RULING: When deemed a pass and not a try, the ball becomes dead immediately when the horn sounds. However, a try or tap by A1 towards A's basket does not become dead until the try or tap ends, which it does when it touches the floor. Therefore, no points are scored. (4-41-2, 4-41-4, 4-41-5)
By this "However" ruling: the ball needs to be in the basket before the horn sounds.
Got it!
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

This makes perfect sense: The try ends when the ball hits the floor, therefore, as soon as the horn sounds the ball is dead. After hitting the floor, the ball must pass through the basket to be counted as a 2 point score.

Thanks all!
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
"2 out of 3 aint bad" --Meatloaf
"2 out of 3 is a D." -- my math teacher