The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Last Second Shot Ruling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101000-last-second-shot-ruling.html)

Paul N Mon Feb 29, 2016 09:44am

Last Second Shot Ruling

Unlikely play, but I have been asked about this twice in the last year. What is the ruling on the following High School play: At the end of the quarter a player throws the ball the length of the court for a last second try. Before the horn sounds: a) The ball bounces outside the 3 point line and then goes through the basket? b) The ball bounces inside the 3-point line and then goes through the basket?

If the horn sounds before the ball bounces, it is 'end of quarter', no basket. But what about in this situation?

deecee Mon Feb 29, 2016 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul N (Post 982746)
Unlikely play, but I have been asked about this twice in the last year. What is the ruling on the following High School play: At the end of the quarter a player throws the ball the length of the court for a last second try. Before the horn sounds: a) The ball bounces outside the 3 point line and then goes through the basket? b) The ball bounces inside the 3-point line and then goes through the basket?

If the horn sounds before the ball bounces, it is 'end of quarter', no basket. But what about in this situation?

If the ball goes in after the bounce and before the horn sounds it's 2 points. If the horn sounds AT ANY POINT and the ball bounces (or after the ball bounces) and the ball then goes through it's 0 points.

SNIPERBBB Mon Feb 29, 2016 09:54am

Is either a try or tap? If no, no points.

(By definition, they are not)

Paul N Mon Feb 29, 2016 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 982747)
If the ball goes in after the bounce and before the horn sounds it's 2 points. If the horn sounds AT ANY POINT and the ball bounces (or after the ball bounces) and the ball then goes through it's 0 points.

Thanks for the quick reply deecee. To summarize: Regardless of where the ball bounces on the court, it is counted as 2 points only? If the horn sounds at any time before the ball enters the hoop, it is not a goal?

Thanks again!

SNIPERBBB Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01am

Correct

bob jenkins Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul n (Post 982750)
thanks for the quick reply deecee. To summarize: Regardless of where the ball bounces on the court, it is counted as 2 points only? If the horn sounds at any time before the ball passes through the hoop, it is not a goal?

Thanks again!

fify

Refhoop Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul N (Post 982750)
Thanks for the quick reply deecee. To summarize: Regardless of where the ball bounces on the court, it is counted as 2 points only? If the horn sounds at any time before the ball enters the hoop, it is not a goal?

Thanks again!

Shot released: Horn sounds, Balls hits the floor; shot over; no basket!
Shot released: Ball hits the floor (becomes airborne again), horn sounds, ball goes in; count it!

bob jenkins Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 982755)
Shot released: Horn sounds, Balls hits the floor; shot over; no basket!
Shot released: Ball hits the floor (becomes airborne again), horn sounds, ball goes in; count it!

Some might say that 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

I'm not in that group.

Your second statement is clearly not correct. There's a specific case play on it, I think.

Refhoop Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 982757)

I'm not in that group.

Your second statement is clearly not correct. There's a specific case play on it, I think.

So if its bounced, it has to enter the basket before the horn sounds?

bob jenkins Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 982759)
So if its bounced, it has to enter the basket before the horn sounds?

When does a try end? When does a period end when a try is in flight? When does a period end when a try isn't in flight?

BigCat Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 982757)

I'm not in that group.

"2 out of 3 aint bad" --Meatloaf

1 out of two…not good…bad here…and the exact play is in the case book as you said.

SNIPERBBB Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42am

5.1.1 SITUATION B:

A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 is in flight when the horn sounds indicating the expiration of time in the third quarter. The ball subsequently comes down several feet in front of the basket, strikes the floor without touching any player and bounces into the basket.

RULING: When deemed a pass and not a try, the ball becomes dead immediately when the horn sounds. However, a try or tap by A1 towards A's basket does not become dead until the try or tap ends, which it does when it touches the floor. Therefore, no points are scored. (4-41-2, 4-41-4, 4-41-5)

Refhoop Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 982764)
5.1.1 SITUATION B:

A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 is in flight when the horn sounds indicating the expiration of time in the third quarter. The ball subsequently comes down several feet in front of the basket, strikes the floor without touching any player and bounces into the basket.

RULING: When deemed a pass and not a try, the ball becomes dead immediately when the horn sounds. However, a try or tap by A1 towards A's basket does not become dead until the try or tap ends, which it does when it touches the floor. Therefore, no points are scored. (4-41-2, 4-41-4, 4-41-5)

By this "However" ruling: the ball needs to be in the basket before the horn sounds.
Got it!

Paul N Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:17pm

This makes perfect sense: The try ends when the ball hits the floor, therefore, as soon as the horn sounds the ball is dead. After hitting the floor, the ball must pass through the basket to be counted as a 2 point score.

Thanks all!

Rich Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 982762)
"2 out of 3 aint bad" --Meatloaf

"2 out of 3 is a D." -- my math teacher