The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Mens Rec - First Time

First year official, did 40 games, from 4th grade thru JV. Much more confident now than when I started. Looking back, I definitely let some Freshman and JV coaches complain too much, missed some T's. Those were my first 8 games. Still haven't issued a T.

I accepted two last minute games today, at a Boys/Girls Club, not knowing the level. Just found out it's mens rec, ages 40+. I know on this forum several have said mens rec is a major pain. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I feel my first T may come today. . .any tips?
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Only if you need to, don't go into the game feeling like you are going to have to tee someone up. If you look for it, you will easily be able to issue it. Men's leagues can be a pain, but have a lighter attitude yourself and talk to the guys if a guy crosses the verbal line bang him.

If you do issue one stay calm, let your partner know what is going on and calmly report it to the table and let your partner administer the free throws.

I feel with my men's league games I go in with a lighter attitude than I do my high school stuff and I find myself not being as stressed out as I used to doing men's and have been doing the same league for 4 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 03:58pm
Official Fiveum Member

Welcome to the world of Men's Wreck.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes, would have turned in assignment
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 05:36pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I don't like the idea of turning in games unless you absolutely have to.

For example, I changed jobs right before last season started, and the new job could accommodate my ref schedule for all but two games (which were both around 2 months away). So I had to decide between not doing those games or creating a problem at my job (aka "what I do to make a living"). Easy decision, but I hated doing it.

And assignors, at least those around here, absolutely hate when you turn in games. I actually have one assignor who will not assign you to future games no matter what excuse you give him for turning in a game. And it just so happens he assigned me one of the two games I turned in. Oh well.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

And assignors, at least those around here, absolutely hate when you turn in games. I actually have one assignor who will not assign you to future games no matter what excuse you give him for turning in a game. And it just so happens he assigned me one of the two games I turned in. Oh well.
Really? That's outrageous....and I can't imagine how he/she could actually get away with strictly in practice. Stuff happens, and your excuse is absolutely valid.

I wonder who that is (no, not asking you to say here). I do some games on the boys and girls suburban side, and have had to turn back games this year to both. Didn't get blackballed...yet!
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Played in a similar league when younger. I felt pity for the officials then. I eventually quit the league when the stupidity trumped the "fun" we were having.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Some adults are out there to have fun and exercise. But in some leagues, there are players that think they missed their calling to the NBA, and claim they got fouled on every shot they miss, and later complain when you call a foul on them, etc.

I tend to talk to the adult players more and say "nice shot" or complement them on playing good defense when they don't swat at every shot attempt thinking they can block them all without committing a foul. Having said that, some men's league players are certainly not adults.

Last edited by DrPete; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 07:50pm.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWxHFMog9w

3:06 is my favorite part of the video.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:59pm
High Five Master

I think all Rec players have been almost all those at one point or another. I stopped being try to dunk guy years ago. Bad for my image. Very funny video. Made me laugh bc I just started playing some pickup a couple times a week in the early morning. Thanks for the laugh
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:09pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Unless you are taking a high profile assignment above your experience level first-year officials should not be turning down games. Your goal is to see plays and you see really weird plays in men's rec and middle school and girls ball.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:11pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWxHFMog9w

3:06 is my favorite part of the video.
Thanks for posting Rich. Great stuff for anyone who's done a Men's Wreck League!

"Foul"

"Dude, you're 6'6", get under the basket!"
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
First year official, ...

I accepted two last minute games today, at a Boys/Girls Club, not knowing the level. Just found out it's mens rec, ages 40+.
The only advice that I will give is get the details of any potential game BEFORE deciding to accept it. I would want to know the date, time, location, level of play, game fee, travel fee (if any), and my partner (2-man) or partners (3-man).

If the assignor won't provide all of that info, then he can find someone else.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The only advice that I will give is get the details of any potential game BEFORE deciding to accept it. I would want to know the date, time, location, level of play, game fee, travel fee (if any), and my partner (2-man) or partners (3-man).

If the assignor won't provide all of that info, then he can find someone else.
I agree 100% with this. But since this is my first year, I am pretty much accepting everything that comes my way, to get more experience, and to show the assignors that I am willing to hep them out.

But you are right, a lot of those details were a surprise to me when I got to the gym. Turns out it wasn't 40+, it was 17-20. Fee was half of what I was expecting, and the biggest surprise was that it was NCAA rules! I had only done HS, and rec with local rules. My partner was also surprised at the NCAA rules. When I accepted the game, I asked the assignor to send me a link to the local rules. He said that I would find out at the game. If I had known it was NCAA, I could have looked up the differences between NFHS and NCAA ahead of time. (that chart in the NFHS book)

Anyway, the games were OK, very athletic kids, kind of like AAU quality, a lot of trash talking, but very little defense!! LOL
And no T's by me (2 by partner).
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 08:23am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Really? That's outrageous....and I can't imagine how he/she could actually get away with strictly in practice. Stuff happens, and your excuse is absolutely valid.

I wonder who that is (no, not asking you to say here). I do some games on the boys and girls suburban side, and have had to turn back games this year to both. Didn't get blackballed...yet!
That's the unfortunate part of where I officiate... Assignors have plenty of options.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk