The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 10:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Can't Find The Reference

I remember seeing a reference in the rules that allow us to send a disqualified player to the locker room (with adult supervision) if he or she is being a disruptive influence on the bench. I can't find it, though. Was I hallucinating?
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
i remember seeing a reference in the rules that allow us to send a disqualified player to the locker room (with adult supervision) if he or she is being a disruptive influence on the bench. I can't find it, though. Was i hallucinating?

A1 commits flagrant T against B1: Flagrant T DQs A1. Dqed team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the bench. "however, in an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require that these individuals who have committed a flagrant T must leave the vicinity of the court….Official should require individual to leave vicinity of court with adult supervisor."

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Feb 18, 2016 at 10:28am.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 10:26am
Courageous When Prudent

In the NCAA-Men's rule book, rule 4-14 covers ejected players being sent to the locker room. Can't find anything in the FED rule set, but I believe I remember there used to be something similar to what your remember also.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I remember seeing a reference in the rules that allow us to send a disqualified player to the locker room (with adult supervision) if he or she is being a disruptive influence on the bench. I can't find it, though. Was I hallucinating?
10.5 SITUATION:

(a) The head coach is charged (directly or indirectly) with a third technical foul, or a second direct technical; or (b) A1 commits a flagrant *technical foul against B1.
RULING: In (a), the coach shall leave the vicinity or the playing area and have no further contact with the team. The official has no option and may not set aside the provision which requires removal. This also applies to all adult bench personnel who receive two technical fouls. In (b), the flagrant technical foul disqualifies A1 from further *participation in the contest. A disqualified team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the bench. However, in an unusual situation, an official has the authority to require that these individuals who have committed a flagrant technical foul must leave the vicinity of the court. This action is necessary when permitting such offenders to remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to subject the officials, opponents or *others administering the game, to unsporting harassment. In such circumstances, the official should require the individual who has committed a flagrant foul to leave the vicinity of the court with an adult supervisor. It must be emphasized that an official does have this authority, when the circumstances resulting from any flagrant foul warrant it. (10-5 Penalty Note)
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thanks. I'm not sure how I skimmed over that.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Thanks. I'm not sure how I skimmed over that.
However, it doesn't say for disqualified player, but for a player who has committed a flagrant technical foul.

I wonder if that is specific or just an example that was used.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
However, it doesn't say for disqualified player, but for a player who has committed a flagrant technical foul.

This action is necessary when permitting such offenders to remain at courtside would tend to incite the crowd, to incite the opponents, or to subject the officials, opponents or *others administering the game, to unsporting harassment.

This is the important part.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I know that the citation above comes from the NFHS Case Book, but I find it interesting that it states that when the coach is ejected, he shall have no further contact with the team.

I remember hearing that last weeked, when Calipari was ejected 2.5 minutes into the game, he was in the locker room at halftime, and he addressed the team briefly before turning most of the halftime talking over to his associate HC and assistant coaches.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Case play are most often examples of plays unless they say something that limits the scope of applicability.

If in doubt, you could just call a flagrant on the player as bench personnel and then send them out.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 03:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Case play are most often examples of plays unless they say something that limits the scope of applicability.

If in doubt, you could just call a flagrant on the player as bench personnel and then send them out.
Probably the best course anyway. One (or one more) T, deemed flagrant, and direction to the coach to have the problem removed and supervised. I've never gotten to that point, I doubt most ever will.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 04:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Just funny that they use the word disqualified in one part of the text and then specifically cite flagrant T's later.

Actually, after more carefully reading the case play, sending the player off has nothing to do with subsequent conduct while on the bench. It's in response to the actual event itself and whether keeping the individual around would further exacerbate the situation.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 18, 2016 at 04:12pm.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 04:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The question stemmed from the following scenario:
A1 and B1 called for double foul and they go to the floor in the process. A fight is possible at this point, but the officials and coaches manage to prevent it from escalating beyond the DPF.

B40, who was DQ'd for 5 personal fouls, leaves the bench and gets to the immediate vicinity of A1 and B1 while it still looks like a fight may erupt between them.