The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 14, 2016, 04:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Parent conduct agreement

Here's a link to a parental conduct agreement that every player's parent must sign and submit. It's from the local kids rec league in which I used to be active, both as an official and as a Board member. The league gives jackets with the league's logo on it to all Board members so that parents will know that it's a Board member with authority who is monitoring each game. This league usually has about 1200 kids in it in grades 3-12.

http://www.tigardbasketball.org/docl...%20parents.pdf
Old Sun Feb 14, 2016, 04:43pm
Stubborn Member

While the intent of things like this are great, I'm not sure they do a whole hell of a lot to curb bad behavior. Seems to me that if somebody wants to be an idiot, he or she will be an idiot.

It's like the banners hung at most high school gyms around here, which talk about sportsmanship and such. In one of my final games of the season the crowd was an absolute disgrace. One of the worst I've ever had to deal with. That gym had one of those sportsmanship banners, and it did nothing to stop the bad behavior. I remember looking at it at one point and rolling my eyes, because those fans clearly either didn't read it or flat-out ignored it.

Hopefully the parents that sign this take it more seriously.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2016, 07:28pm
High Five Master

Sad we live in a world where parents of young children in sporting events have to sign a contract which tells how to conduct oneself. I also agree it would give a little meat to any action that might need to be taken (ejection, expulsion from league) but I doubt it would do much to stop morons from being morons.

I will say the form wouldn't load on my phone. Silly iPhone.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2016, 09:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
While the intent of things like this are great, I'm not sure they do a whole hell of a lot to curb bad behavior. Seems to me that if somebody wants to be an idiot, he or she will be an idiot.

It's like the banners hung at most high school gyms around here, which talk about sportsmanship and such. In one of my final games of the season the crowd was an absolute disgrace. One of the worst I've ever had to deal with. That gym had one of those sportsmanship banners, and it did nothing to stop the bad behavior. I remember looking at it at one point and rolling my eyes, because those fans clearly either didn't read it or flat-out ignored it.

Hopefully the parents that sign this take it more seriously.
The real question is one of enforcement. From Padgett's posts on this before, they enforced it pretty well. The benefit of the agreement is that if there's any question from the parent, the discussion can be shortened with a quick email:
"Attached you'll find a copy of the agreement you signed at the beginning of the season...."