The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
In the real world, the vast majority of people just spazz out sometimes.
They do? The vast majority of people? What world are you living in where the vast majority of people behave that way? I like the seatbelt rule - as long as the coaching box is considered a privilege, taking it away is a fair consequence of behaving like a jackass. I would be in favor of limiting the seatbelt to unsporting behavior T's only and not things like pregame dunking and uniform issues.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
they do? The vast majority of people? What world are you living in where the vast majority of people behave that way? I like the seatbelt rule - as long as the coaching box is considered a privilege, taking it away is a fair consequence of behaving like a jackass. I would be in favor of limiting the seatbelt to unsporting behavior t's only and not things like pregame dunking and uniform issues.
+1
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In the real world, the vast majority of people just spazz out sometimes. The consequence is 2 FTs and the ball to the other team. I see no benefit to the game for telling the coach he has to sit. I do it, and I don't mind doing it, but I think it's rather pointless.
In the real world, people are expected to behave professionally. If I spazz out in a meeting and embarrass my boss, he's going to have more to worry about than two free throws and a seat belt.

I still don't understand why we can't expect adults to behave like adults, especially when they're teaching our children how to behave like adults.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldnt want to see it goes, A because things calm back down and B)its mildly comical to watch the coach try to find a chair to sit on because they use half the school on the roster.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 03:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In the real world, people are expected to behave professionally. If I spazz out in a meeting and embarrass my boss, he's going to have more to worry about than two free throws and a seat belt.

I still don't understand why we can't expect adults to behave like adults, especially when they're teaching our children how to behave like adults.
We can. We penalize with a technical foul when they don't.

Sitting them down does nothing for me.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 03:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We can. We penalize with a technical foul when they don't.

Sitting them down does nothing for me.
Yeah, I was thinking beyond the topic at the moment, to people excusing poor behavior because it's an intense game and this is their job or something.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Certainly when the game is not out of reach, 2 shots plus the ball can be a great deterrent to a coach earning a T. But when the game is out of reach, and the points and possession are meaningless, the seatbelt is that extra deterrent to maybe keep them from blowing off some steam at us for the sake of blowing off steam. It doesn't always stop it, but I'd like to think it may prevent a few.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 04:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Certainly when the game is not out of reach, 2 shots plus the ball can be a great deterrent to a coach earning a T. But when the game is out of reach, and the points and possession are meaningless, the seatbelt is that extra deterrent to maybe keep them from blowing off some steam at us for the sake of blowing off steam. It doesn't always stop it, but I'd like to think it may prevent a few.
Honestly, I wish they'd just blow steam, we'd assess the T and we'd keep moving.

The perception is that the T is something horrible to be avoided at all costs, which I find ridiculous.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I doubt the seatbelt rule is anywhere in the mind of a coach when a game is out of reach.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Who's saying we can't expect it? I'm not sure how my post can be taken as me being okay with coaches acting like an ass. Even the best coaches on earth freak out when an official "messes up a call" and then get a technical. Often, said coaches are correct, but I'm by no means excusing their behavior. It's a T. Want to keep going? Another T. Ts can stop bad behavior. Removing the bad behavior out of the gym can stop bad behavior. But sitting a coach?

All I'm saying is that I don't think sitting a coach does any good, most of the time. I'm fine with the rule staying or being changed, but if someone asks me does sitting coaches result in better behavior I'm going to tell them probably not.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 07:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Who's saying we can't expect it? I'm not sure how my post can be taken as me being okay with coaches acting like an ass. Even the best coaches on earth freak out when an official "messes up a call" and then get a technical. Often, said coaches are correct, but I'm by no means excusing their behavior. It's a T. Want to keep going? Another T. Ts can stop bad behavior. Removing the bad behavior out of the gym can stop bad behavior. But sitting a coach?

All I'm saying is that I don't think sitting a coach does any good, most of the time. I'm fine with the rule staying or being changed, but if someone asks me does sitting coaches result in better behavior I'm going to tell them probably not.
My apologies. I was responding to a trigger that was no fault of yours.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 08:00pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Nope. Restriction to the dugout and a written warning for minor offenses. Pretty much required now for NFHS games unless the offense is considered major.

I don't agree that putting a coach in the dugout is required before ejection. It's not a linear process where one must occur before the other. And while I do fast pitch softball, I work with a lot of guys who do both and have never heard of a written warning but maybe that is a state by state thing. I approach the dugout vs ejection thing just like basketball i.e. Answer questions, ignore comments, penalize unsporting behavior. I have used the dugout restriction a lot more recently but that I have attributed to working basketball and likening it to the first T.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I don't agree that putting a coach in the dugout is required before ejection.
It is required in NFHS this year unless it is a major offense. Rule change.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps, the seatbelt penalty does deter coaches from wanting a T

From time-to-time, a coach may think the benefits of getting a technical foul (motivated his players, hopes of getting some favorable calls from the officials) outweighs the cost of two free throw and, possibly, the ball. Adding the seatbelt penalty might deter coaches from "wanting a T"
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 09:54am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
It is required in NFHS this year unless it is a major offense. Rule change.

Great. That is flipping ridiculous. Softball normally does same stuff but on a 3-4 year delay. Something to look forward to I suppose.