The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:44pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Arrow GW Men's Coach has "Issue" at Daughter's HS JV Game.......

GW basketball coach gets kicked out of his daughter’s high school JV game | For The Win
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:52pm
Esteemed Participant

1) Sounds pretty tame if that's what actually happened/was said...

2) Sounds like it has nothing to do with refs or officiating...interesting story, but not really anything here for those of us in stripes.

Any other reports on this? I didn't find any in a quick search...
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Oh, I dunno.....from a game mgt perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Sounds like it has nothing to do with refs or officiating...interesting story, but not really anything here for those of us in stripes.
Maybe not directly. But, spectators/parents mulling about the table and getting involved with the official books and scorekeepers could become distracting, disrupt the game, and get the officials involved pretty quickly.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) Sounds pretty tame if that's what actually happened/was said...
It might seem that way but would you want a parent coming down from the stands to question your scorer(s), especially if they're kids? He needed to keep his behind in his seat.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 08:41am
Stubborn Member

Yeah, he should have gone to the coach to have the officials and scorekeepers fix the error... assuming it was indeed an error. A parent or spectator should not be speaking directly with the table or officials.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I will say that if there is something like this and I'm the official, I'm going to want to figure out what it was about. Especially at the JV level, in my experience, if someone is claiming something is wrong it probably is. I wonder why the officials didn't take 30 seconds to go to the table and confirm whether or not the fouls were correct.

It sounds like at a minimum, there was a discrepancy between the home/official and guest books. So its worth checking, even if you don't have any knowledge to change and stick with the home book.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I will say that if there is something like this and I'm the official, I'm going to want to figure out what it was about. Especially at the JV level, in my experience, if someone is claiming something is wrong it probably is. I wonder why the officials didn't take 30 seconds to go to the table and confirm whether or not the fouls were correct.

It sounds like at a minimum, there was a discrepancy between the home/official and guest books. So its worth checking, even if you don't have any knowledge to change and stick with the home book.
My experience, if I see someone at the table during the game, unless I know different, I'm assuming it's official business with game management. I don't know everyone at the school.

Now, if parents and fans are screaming about foul counts or score, i'm not paying attention. They're wrong more often than they're right.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My experience, if I see someone at the table during the game, unless I know different, I'm assuming it's official business with game management. I don't know everyone at the school.

Now, if parents and fans are screaming about foul counts or score, i'm not paying attention. They're wrong more often than they're right.
If I see a parent from the stands come down to the table and make a ruckus, I'm going to deal with that and get the parent the hell out of there. The table is our domain and we need to make sure no one is changing anything in the official book without an official allowing it. All too often, especially in lower level games when kids are working the table, adults will influence them into changing something and we can't allow that to happen without our input.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 01:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If I see a parent from the stands come down to the table and make a ruckus, I'm going to deal with that and get the parent the hell out of there. The table is our domain and we need to make sure no one is changing anything in the official book without an official allowing it. All too often, especially in lower level games when kids are working the table, adults will influence them into changing something and we can't allow that to happen without our input.
Depending on the setup, this would be more obvious at some schools than at others. You're right, but it seems the "middle age loser" was perfectly capable of handling the situation before the refs even knew anything was going on.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 02:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Maybe some of us didn't actually read the article...the GW coach did not "raise a ruckus" or anything close to that. The home score keeper caused a ruckus, which ended quickly when the GW coach walked away and then was asked to leave by game management - which he did, again without "raising a ruckus". Absolutely nothing for the officials to get involved here...
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe some of us didn't actually read the article...the GW coach did not "raise a ruckus" or anything close to that. The home score keeper caused a ruckus, which ended quickly when the GW coach walked away and then was asked to leave by game management - which he did, again without "raising a ruckus". Absolutely nothing for the officials to get involved here...
Well we do not know what really happened, we have one view of the situation. It is possible that he was over the top or disruptive. Of course he is going to make it seem like nothing he did was wrong, but he was ejected anyway. And the officials had little or nothing to do with the situation.

And it can involve the officials if you notice a fan is going to the table and they are causing problems to the game. Maybe that did not take place here, but it could. And the coach should know better and really I do not care if his daughter is crying about fouling out of a game. That has nothing to do with the situation and more to go to his state of mind and his parenting skills.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And the coach should know better and really I do not care if his daughter is crying about fouling out of a game. That has nothing to do with the situation
This ^^^.

The table officials - adult or child, old or young - work with us during a game. As the HC of a college program he knows that, or at least he should. As I said earlier, he needed to keep his behind in his seat.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 02:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The coach's story makes sense, and fits with the facts. If the officials didn't get involved, it likely ended as quickly as it started. The officials who worked this game are likely just now finding out a fan got tossed.

IOW, as dj stated, there's no expectation that the officials would have or should have gotten involved here. GM seems to have resolved the situation.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

It's funny how some coaches (parents) act so good and others not so good, even within the same program.

I officiate MS and Rec league ball.

Within the same Big Ten program, I have officiated the children of two different coaches. The head coach of this program would come in, sit back, watch his child play and not say a word to anyone the entire time (and everyone seemed scared to talk to him as well). Within the same team, another coach was ejected from her child's game in which she was working the scorers table because she was arguing with the officials. This was after her husband (a local high school coach, and that rec teams coach) was tossed for arguing with the officials. Two vastly different situations with the head and assistant coach of the same team (the assistant coach had success at the DII level and is now a DI head coach).

Tuesday I had a coach for the same school, different sport, watching his daughter play. He was very polite and professional as a parent and even told the officials we did a good job after the game.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
According to him....

How many coaches have said "I wasn't yelling" when that's exactly what they were doing? Perhaps the home scorekeeper has a much different version of the events.

But agreed on this is not an officials' issue.