The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The signal he gave indicated to me he thought the player caught the ball with IB status and carried it OOB.
What signal would you give if a team ran this play from a spot throw in? I believe you would still give the 'over and back'-type signal, would you not?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
What signal would you give if a team ran this play from a spot throw in? I believe you would still give the 'over and back'-type signal, would you not?
Or you could just use the stop clock mechanic and then point in the direction the other team is going. Either one would be good

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I can't answer for the guy in the video, but no I would not. The signal for a throw-in violation is simply to point at the spot, same as if the player just ran the endline on a spot throw in.

Then again, his signal is not what you'd use to signal an OOB violation, which is what I think he called. It was, however, descriptive of what the alleged call was.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

It doesn't look from the statement that its main purpose was to criticize the officials. They made it clear slow motion was required etc. Seems more like they wanted to inform people that the rule does not require both feet down to establish position and, perhaps more, that the play, by rule, is not reviewable.

(the knucklehead announcer was saying two feet necessary..over and over)
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
(the knucklehead announcer was saying two feet necessary..over and over)
Someone should be calling for HIM to be suspended!
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

That call, from behind the original thrower, is like a call at 1st base, in a baseball game, but with a poorer angle. And the foot touching down before the ball touches the second player, is exceptionally close. It seems best to leave it alone.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:31pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
Someone should be calling for HIM to be suspended!
The very last sentence in the video, the announcer corrects and says it can't be two feet, or something like that. I bet they figured out and corrected their interpretation.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He acted like he thought this was a spot throw in. He didn't give the 'you have the endline' signal but was saying something to the inbounder when he handed him the ball.
As I was reading through the thread, this is what I was thinking. At least at the HS level I've never seen players smart enough to use this tactic when a non-designated spot throw-in is administered following a timeout.

I can't imagine it happens at the college level that much, either. So maybe the official got caught off guard, or maybe he just missed the call. Whatever the case, I'm glad I watched the clip; I'll be ready for it if it happens to me.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
At least at the HS level I've never seen players smart enough to use this tactic when a non-designated spot throw-in is administered following a timeout.
It doesn't happen often, but it's often enough that we should be ready for it. It's a good topic for the official's huddle during the TO.

And, be sure to either watch the clock and / or instruct the timer -- they are more likely to "get it wrong" than the officials.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It doesn't happen often, but it's often enough that we should be ready for it. It's a good topic for the official's huddle during the TO.

And, be sure to either watch the clock and / or instruct the timer -- they are more likely to "get it wrong" than the officials.
I've actually had coaches give us a heads up that they were planning on running this type of play.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I recall one team running this play coming out of a timeout. They didn't run it by their coach, though, because he was rolling his eyes after we called the violation.

It was a spot throw-in.