The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My point was not about being negligent, but they sued a bunch of people that had nothing to do with the situation. Many of the lawsuits were dropped as many are when the courts realize the person you sued had nothing to do with the action, but being sued means you have defend yourself in court for a period of time even if you are totally not responsible for what you are being sued for. And just imagine if you as an official get involved and you claim to have some background on the spot? What do you think might happen if the person dies or is harmed even more? You think they are going to care if you refused to do something or not?

Bottom line, stay in your lane. This is ultimately on the schools or the facility to have the proper medical people. If they don't, then hope those know what they are doing, but stay out of it personally.

Peace
You're right that if someone is hurt bad enough everyone will be named. If you are named, in Illinois at least, you are covered by a $1,000,000 liability policy. If you are ever named, turn it into the insurance company. They must defend you. You are also right that you would be dismissed out of the case when they figure out what happened….UNLESS you tried to play doctor when your not a doctor and caused harm. It is extremely difficult for a referee to lose a case when he "stays in his lane" as J says. Bad calls cost Johnny scholarship--case tossed out. Bad calls lead to rough play and A1 gets hurt--case tossed out.

When we stay in our lane we won't lose a case unless what we do is damn close to intentionally injuring a person. Providing medical care is not within referee duties--not in our lane. If you do that, do it wrong and player is made worse, you lose even though you were just trying to help.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
You're right that if someone is hurt bad enough everyone will be named. If you are named, in Illinois at least, you are covered by a $1,000,000 liability policy. If you are ever named, turn it into the insurance company. They must defend you. You are also right that you would be dismissed out of the case when they figure out what happened….UNLESS you tried to play doctor when your not a doctor and caused harm. It is extremely difficult for a referee to lose a case when he "stays in his lane" as J says. Bad calls cost Johnny scholarship--case tossed out. Bad calls lead to rough play and A1 gets hurt--case tossed out.

When we stay in our lane we won't lose a case unless what we do is damn close to intentionally injuring a person. Providing medical care is not within referee duties--not in our lane. If you do that, do it wrong and player is made worse, you lose even though you were just trying to help.
This is not a true blanket statement. The general basis of all Good Samaritan Laws is to "offer legal protection to people who give reasonable [emphasis added] assistance to those who are, or who they believe to be, injured, ill, in peril or otherwise incapacitated." The specifics of these laws vary from state to state.

For example, in Texas (at least during my last first aid/CPR class) we were told you should ask something along the lines of "I have some first aid training, can I try to help?" There are, again at least in Texas, circumstances where permission is implied.

All that said...if it isn't life threatening I am not getting involved. In fact, I am moving to the other side/end of the floor to avoid interaction with a hissed off coach and/or parent. Nothing good comes from those situations.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
In fact, I am moving to the other side/end of the floor to avoid interaction with a hissed off coach and/or parent.
Was this guy the coach?

Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
This is not a true blanket statement. The general basis of all Good Samaritan Laws is to "offer legal protection to people who give reasonable [emphasis added] assistance to those who are, or who they believe to be, injured, ill, in peril or otherwise incapacitated." The specifics of these laws vary from state to state.

For example, in Texas (at least during my last first aid/CPR class) we were told you should ask something along the lines of "I have some first aid training, can I try to help?" There are, again at least in Texas, circumstances where permission is implied.

All that said...if it isn't life threatening I am not getting involved. In fact, I am moving to the other side/end of the floor to avoid interaction with a hissed off coach and/or parent. Nothing good comes from those situations.
If it's life or death if you don't act or severe consequences are imminent if you don't act then yes, you will get protection. Some states provide immunity for giving CPR. If you have medical training you will be provided some protection in many states. They want you to help if you are needed. But if you have no training and your in a gym full of people and a player gets hurt stay out of it unless its life threatening.