The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error and End of Game

If anyone saw the end of the Alabama/Mississippi State game on Tuesday night, you saw a major coaching error. With the score tied and 30 seconds left, Alabama had the ball, and there was a timeout. During the timeout, the TV guys mentioned that Alabama had a foul to give (They had 5 fouls). When play resumed, with 11 seconds left, Alabama was called for a charging foul (#6). When Mississippi State inbounded the ball, Alabama, who was thinking they still had a foul to give, committed a foul with 7 seconds left. After a meeting at the table, the officials correctly put MSU on the line for a 1 and 1, which completely flabbergasted the TV guys and myself as I watched on TV. Looking back on it, it's easy to see that it was handled correctly, and Alabama's head coach admitted after the game that it was a breakdown in communication with his staff and that they can't let that happen again. But, at the time, the fouls happened so close together that in my mind, in the TV guys' minds, and obviously in the minds of the Alabama coaches, the foul was only the 6th. Luckily for Alabama, the front end of the one and one was missed, and the game went to OT where Alabama eventually won.

The whole sequence got me to thinking though: What if the official scorer had fallen into the same trap that seemingly everyone else had fallen into? What if Mississippi State was given the ball out of bounds, Alabama held them, and as we are about to go to overtime, the error is discovered. Am I correct that Mississippi State would get to shoot a one and one with no one around and if the first one is good, the game would immediately end with Alabama having no chance to answer? If so, I truly cannot imagine a worse way for a game to end.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the game would be over. They would have to catch the error during the first dead ball after the clock started. Assuming they just played out the remaining time, no other dead ball. The first dead ball would last until the ball becomes live for OT. It is still correctable. Game would end if miss. Makes Ft.

There is a case play 2.10 something very similar. Player should have been given 2 shots but got only 1.....
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:14pm
High Five Master

Didn't see the game but if, in your scenario, the CE was discovered within allowable time to correct, then it must be corrected. But, good thing the officials and scorekeeper did their jobs and that didn't happen
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 09:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Didn't see the game but if, in your scenario, the CE was discovered within allowable time to correct, then it must be corrected. But, good thing the officials and scorekeeper did their jobs and that didn't happen
This type of scenario is why I'm so diligent in tracking the team foul count. I had to correct the table last night as they only had 5 fouls on the scoreboard when in actuality there were 6 fouls.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 05:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now Don't Get Me Started ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This type of scenario is why I'm so diligent in tracking the team foul count.
Keeping track of team foul counts was one of my goals for the season. I've noticed that we have a lot of scoreboard operators who put up the foul way too early, before the foul has even been reported to the table. Others put it up way too late, right before we put the ball back in play, or set up to shoot free throws.

And then there are those pesky public address announcers who announce the foul before it's even been reported.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)