The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 11:28am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I thought the FEEBLE referee test was to see how many consonents you can get into one last name and still be able to pronounce it.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
this test is a joke 86 laps(20 meters each one)in total this test is only 10 min'.for me a young refree it's very easy because i'm only 24 years old but for my older freinds it's not so easy..
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Dan_Ref, depending on your level of fitness, age, ability, etc., some people start to get up to sprint speed at around the 8-10 minute mark. Like I said, it depends on numerous factors.

At one stage it was scaled depending on your age. e.g. 35-44 yr old males had to get to 9 minutes. 45-54 yr old males had to get to 8 minutes. Females followed a similar protocol but they were only required to get to a level 1 minutes less than their male counterparts.

The test follows an up and back pattern, exactly like suicides. However, having said that, there is no reason why you can't do a loop. The only drawback to this is that is burns up some of your lap time and as you can imagine that makes it harder the further you get into the test.

The second part of the fitness test we do in Australia requires that we run 3 half suicides in 20", 21", and 22" with an equivalent rest time between each attempt. These, in my opinion are easy. There was a time we had to do full suicides in 30", 31" and 32" respectively.

Hope I answered your questions
Cheers

It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you're surrounded by Turkeys
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
today in FIBA all refrees must do the same test-10 min'(86 laps)and the womans 8 min'(66 laps)nothing more.
i hate so much the voice of the woman from the test.."9 min' a little bit faster"..
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by eaco
Dan_Ref, depending on your level of fitness, age, ability, etc., some people start to get up to sprint speed at around the 8-10 minute mark. Like I said, it depends on numerous factors.

At one stage it was scaled depending on your age. e.g. 35-44 yr old males had to get to 9 minutes. 45-54 yr old males had to get to 8 minutes. Females followed a similar protocol but they were only required to get to a level 1 minutes less than their male counterparts.

The test follows an up and back pattern, exactly like suicides. However, having said that, there is no reason why you can't do a loop. The only drawback to this is that is burns up some of your lap time and as you can imagine that makes it harder the further you get into the test.

The second part of the fitness test we do in Australia requires that we run 3 half suicides in 20", 21", and 22" with an equivalent rest time between each attempt. These, in my opinion are easy. There was a time we had to do full suicides in 30", 31" and 32" respectively.

Hope I answered your questions
Cheers
I see, thanks. In the US we have both a physical test & an intelligence test. If you're smart enough to find the gym and fit enough to walk all the way out onto the floor to start the game you're in. Or sometimes it seems that way...
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

If any of you are interested, you can actually download the physical test from the FIBA website (www.fiba.com) to use in training. However, it doesn't actually tell you the required distance, but it carries on up 2 about 3.6Km if I remember right.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

The 86lap shuttle run was for males 30 to 39 years of age. It takes 10 minutes to run and the total distance run is 1720 meters. It is known as the FIBA beep test.
Minute 1 - 2 is 7 x 20m laps, 140m per minute
Minute 3 - 5 is 8 x 20m laps, 160m per minute
Minute 6 - 7 is 9 x 20m laps, 180m per minute
Minute 8 - 10 is 10 x 20m laps, 200m per minute
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 06:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Audible beeps? Sounds a bit pavlovian to me.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Yes the beeps are audible. you start your lap run on the beep.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Audible beeps? Sounds a bit pavlovian to me.
Yep, makes me sweat every time I hear a beep!
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yes i can verify all of this to be elligable to referee ,youth league, state league, aba, nbl you have to complete the new fiba fitness test.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

what if you hustle in the beginning and get ahead of the beeps? I've never heard of this test but I'd like to see do it and wouldn't mind if it were required. Then in a few years when my age starts catching up with me they can make it go away.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA Test

As a FIBA referee in Europe we have had this version of the test for one year now.

It is basically a VO2 max test or, a 'bleep test'. Used normally it is maximum and and progressive - meaning that you are supposed to run it until you cannot make the bleeps on each turn - it gives you a level of fitness )ie your personal maximum).

As mentioned one lap is 20 metres. Normally you run between two cones, or lines and as you run, you make your turns on the bleepn (from a pre-recorded tape or CD). The number of bleeps per minute increases, so that in the first minute you can just about walk it, but with every passing minute, the number of bleeps increase.

Beacuse of the turns, it actually affects your legs more than your lungs, and it is only a 10 minute run. You are allowed to be 'late' on two turns, on the third if you arer late (it beeps before you turn) you are failed. Equally arriving early is not acceptable!!

Many officials in Europe find the last 2/3 minutes the hardest - Maybe this is psychological - But a good prcatice is to run say, the last 6 minutes, then the last 7 minutes, and so on, building up so eventaully you start at the beginning, but practice running the hardest part, and proving to yourself that you can do it.

During the season, many of us practice this once a week or maybe three times per month, practice does help.

European referees must complete this test twice per season, Pre- and Mid-. Failure to complete means you sit out. We also have to sit a rules test once per year.

When I got my international licence at 25, I had to run 108 laps, as it used to be staggered on age - less laps for older referees - This is because it is also a physiological test, testing your 'general level of fitness' based on your age.

It won't tell if you can officiate, but it will tell if you are generally fit. Having said that, there is of course a direct correlation between an official being tired, and making poor decisions,

I remember being at the Nationwide Camp many years ago and explaining the test to two NBA refs who were on the staff, who thought it was a crock........However, as they wanted to officiate the Olympics/World Champs, I think they went out and trained!

Lastly until a few years ago, most pro games in Europe were 2PO, most or the better leagues are now 3PO, as are the main FIBA Championships - Olympics will be, Europeans will be in September, and many of the U18, U20 events will be as well.

One last thing, do it on a CD version, we used a tape, and tapes stretch real quick. You end up running almost 11 minutes before you know it, but at a slower pace, which is easier!!!
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 10:42am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Believe me when I say I will never take this bleeping test!
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: FIBA Test

Quote:
Originally posted by LimeyRef

One last thing, do it on a CD version, we used a tape, and tapes stretch real quick. You end up running almost 11 minutes before you know it, but at a slower pace, which is easier!!!
Thanks for the info.

Is there someplace to go to download the CD? I've googled a little for this but could not find it.