The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Hi.

I saw the following at http://od.digibix.com/fiba/noticiasr...p?r=FXOYPDISMD and would like to know if anyone can verify this.

"A change in the requirements outlined in the Physical Test has been adopted, and is effective immediately. The different standards based on the age of the candidates and FIBA referees have been eliminated. From now on female participants regardless of age, must run 66 laps and male participants regardless of age, must run 86 laps as described in the FIBA document “ Physical Fitness Test for Referees”."

Thanks in advance,
GFS
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 11:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by GFS

"A change in the requirements outlined in the Physical Test has been adopted, and is effective immediately. The different standards based on the age of the candidates and FIBA referees have been eliminated. From now on female participants regardless of age, must run 66 laps and male participants regardless of age, must run 86 laps as described in the FIBA document “ Physical Fitness Test for Referees”."
Male participants from Ohio must run 86 laps around Larks. It is not recommended that female participants try this, as it may be injurious to their health.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by GFS
Hi.

I saw the following at http://od.digibix.com/fiba/noticiasr...p?r=FXOYPDISMD and would like to know if anyone can verify this.

Thanks in advance,
GFS
86 laps??! How long is one lap?
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Dan, one lap is from start to finish.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
86 laps??! How long is one lap?
Hmmm, can't find the referenced manual online, but I did find some info at http://www.nswbasketball.net.au/refe...3/03reffaq.htm

Q) What is the FIBA Referees Fitness Test?

A) The FIBA Referees Fitness Test is a 20-meter shuttle run. The test is conducted on a basketball court. Participants will be required to see how far they can run whilst running between the markers set 20-metres apart while remaining between the audible beeps. Based on your age you will be required to run a certain distance. [which seems to have just changed]

Assuming that a lap is one round trip, or 40 meters, 86 laps would be 3440 meters, or 2.1375169 miles (give or take a few microns).

There was no mention of how widely spaced the audible beeps are, so I don't know how long you have to do this distance.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Dan, one lap is from start to finish.
Start TO finish! No way....

Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

Q) What is the FIBA Referees Fitness Test?

A) The FIBA Referees Fitness Test is a 20-meter shuttle run. The test is conducted on a basketball court. Participants will be required to see how far they can run whilst running between the markers set 20-metres apart while remaining between the audible beeps. Based on your age you will be required to run a certain distance. [which seems to have just changed]

Whilst. Never trust a person or a document that uses the word "whilst" (except Monty Python of course). Anywho...how does one remain "...between the audible beeps" I wonder? If you can't hear them you've run too far & are disqualified?

Quote:

Assuming that a lap is one round trip, or 40 meters, 86 laps would be 3440 meters, or 2.1375169 miles (give or take a few microns).

There was no mention of how widely spaced the audible beeps are, so I don't know how long you have to do this distance.
Makes sense, thanks
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 03:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
Did you get hair plugs,Dan?
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Did you get hair plugs,Dan? [/B]
Looks like they aint working.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 02:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Did you get hair plugs,Dan?
Looks like they aint working. [/B]
Au contraire! You're looking much,uh,fuzzier than usual. The "Albert Einstein" look is YOU!

Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Each lap is 20 metres, 86 laps is a 10 minute run, 97 laps are 11 minutes, and 108 laps are 12 minutes.

Anyway, thanks for all your "answers", but is there anyone who can actually verify that everyone is supposed to run 86 laps?
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by GFS
Each lap is 20 metres, 86 laps is a 10 minute run, 97 laps are 11 minutes, and 108 laps are 12 minutes.

Anyway, thanks for all your "answers", but is there anyone who can actually verify that everyone is supposed to run 86 laps?
2 Km in 12 minutes?!? Whew! I'm glad I'm allowed to be an old fogey!
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
2 Km in 12 minutes?!? Whew! I'm glad I'm allowed to be an old fogey!
Juulie, that's only a little more than a mile. You trying to tell me you couldn't do a mile in 12 minutes? I'm not sure I'm buying that.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

The beeps start off fairly slow - slightly more than walking pace. The time between beeps gets progressively shorter until it gets to a point where you are sprinting to make the next marker. If you miss two markers in a row you are eliminated.

This is also a way of testing VO2max - for those of you that are interested.

Seems easy until you actually try it. Unless you keep cardiovascularly fit this test will do most people in.

Cheers
eaco

[Edited by eaco on Sep 17th, 2003 at 10:21 AM]

It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you're surrounded by Turkeys
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eaco
The beeps start off fairly slow - slightly more than walking pace. The time between beeps gets progressively shorter until it gets to a point where you are sprinting to make the next marker. If you miss two markers in a row you are eliminated.

This is also a way of testing VO2max - for those of you that are interested.

Seems easy until you actually try it. Unless you keep cardiovascularly fit this test will do most people in.

Cheers
eaco

[Edited by eaco on Sep 17th, 2003 at 10:21 AM]
Eaco, that does seem like a good workout. Are the laps "cicular", like in running around a track, or do you stop & reverse direction, like doing suicides? For roughly how long during the 10 minute test are you expected to "sprint"?