The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Free throw violations

Hi,

First post on this site. I had a situation in a middle school boys game using nfhs rules. a)A1 is at the free throw shooting the double bonus----second free throw. B2 steps in the lane before the release and my partner holds out the delayed violation signal. A1 does not draw iron and I whistle a violation. How would that be handled? I thought both violations would be enforced, leading to an AP throw in, but that is not what we did. We gave a substitute free throw------only other thing I could think of is that my partner thought the early movement disconcerted the shooter? We did not have the chance to discuss it after the game. Thanks
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Hi,

First post on this site. I had a situation in a middle school boys game using nfhs rules. a)A1 is at the free throw shooting the double bonus----second free throw. B2 steps in the lane before the release and my partner holds out the delayed violation signal. A1 does not draw iron and I whistle a violation. How would that be handled? I thought both violations would be enforced, leading to an AP throw in, but that is not what we did. We gave a substitute free throw------only other thing I could think of is that my partner thought the early movement disconcerted the shooter? We did not have the chance to discuss it after the game. Thanks
If Bs violation caused As air ball in official's opinion then substitute FT is proper. If defender on lane line violates but you don't conclude that act caused/contributed to the air all then it is considered simultaneous violation and you go to the arrow.

If B violated first on lane line, then A, also on the lane line violates, As violation is ignored. Substitute throw. Good luck to you.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks so much for the reply. Best to you too.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Whether it's disconcertion or not is judgment. For me, I'm going to consider it disconcertion the vast majority of the time if I can justify it.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Whether it's disconcertion or not is judgment. For me, I'm going to consider it disconcertion the vast majority of the time if I can justify it.
I'm the opposite then. In my opinion a kid simply stepping in early doesn't amount to disconcertion. The opponent would need to do more than just commit a lane violation.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm the opposite then. In my opinion a kid simply stepping in early doesn't amount to disconcertion. The opponent would need to do more than just commit a lane violation.
I'm going to look at the shooters reaction. If the lane violation affected him I will give him another throw. Maybe it shouldn't affect him but that isn't the standard. If it did, give him another FT.