The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
In our HS association we aren't allowed to work with the same person more than 2-3 times a month. It happens. So maybe allowed isn't the right word, but it's extremely rare.

While I do have the officials I enjoy working with more, this method, in my opinion, has made me a better official. I've found I can meld into just about any crew.
In mine, there might be one partner I see 3 times a season.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:30pm
wife loves the goatee...

The question I have is this; is "comfort" a matter of personalities or of competence? ... Occasionally I work with someone I don't trust to get the job done when the pressure is on...which makes me uncomfortable. I couldn't care less about your personality.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
The question I have is this; is "comfort" a matter of personalities or of competence? ... Occasionally I work with someone I don't trust to get the job done when the pressure is on...which makes me uncomfortable. I couldn't care less about your personality.
For most, perception is going to prevent these from being completely isolated from one another.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In mine, there might be one partner I see 3 times a season.
This sounds about right. I'm just saying the max amount possible in HS for us. There's something on Arbiter that flags the assigner if you've worked with someone within 14 days.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I may have a different approach. I am in the twilight of my career (age) and I still really love to officiate. At this time in my life, this about fun and not worrying about moving up etc...In 2-man, I work with the same guy almost every night. We have worked together now for 7 years. My previous partner and I were together 9 years before he retired.

I love knowing where my partner is and he always knows where I am. I do work a few games a year with someone else and it is OK. But you can't replace the conversations that go on in the vehicle on the way to the game.

We use different people for 3-person and that is good too. Met a really great young official a month ago that we would work with any time.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This sounds about right. I'm just saying the max amount possible in HS for us. There's something on Arbiter that flags the assigner if you've worked with someone within 14 days.
Ah. Not sure if that's the case here. There have been times I've seen one partner three times before Christmas, then not at all the rest of the season.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Competence is more important. I'm definitely nowhere near on boat with not caring about personalities.

There is the occasional night, maybe once a month, where I'm thinking: oh dang how'd I get put with these two old grumps.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Competence is more important. I'm definitely nowhere near on boat with not caring about personalities.

There is the occasional night, maybe once a month, where I'm thinking: oh dang how'd I get put with these two old grumps.
two man games?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
two man games?
Hah, I was slightly grumpy having to do my first 2-man game of the year. Had to do my second one of the year last night but it was a deaf&blind school. They're always the nicest people you'll ever meet and make it fun.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 01:25pm
High Five Master

Quote:
In our HS association we aren't allowed to work with the same person more than 2-3 times a month. It happens. So maybe allowed isn't the right word, but it's extremely rare.

While I do have the officials I enjoy working with more, this method, in my opinion, has made me a better official. I've found I can meld into just about any crew.

Round these parts, I work with the same level experience guys and mostly about the same 10 people. I would love to be the new guy and be uncomfortable around more experienced guys. I want to learn and get better and it sucks when you are generally the stronger whistle on the court. Not that I can't learn by working with a new guy but it's not the same as with a veteran
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Positives and negatives working with new people, on the plus side for me:

1. As Rich pointed out, I tend to be more focused and work hard to earn my stripes with the crew that night.

2. Enjoy meeting and learning from new people.

On the downside:

1. I find out crews are out of synch a lot more, it can be tougher to find a rhythm with the game.

2. It seems like partners reach more.

For me the biggest part of working with new people each night is that it required me to have more patience. The first year I experienced it, I would come home frustrated every night because "this guy I have never worked with" made a bad call and the crew suffered. Now I can brush those things off and enjoy the "down time" on the court.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 02:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The question I have is this; is "comfort" a matter of personalities or of competence? ... Occasionally I work with someone I don't trust to get the job done when the pressure is on....
I have an occasional partner about whom I feel the same way, and he is a friend of mine. He has been officiating longer than me and has helped me along the way (once gave me a great piece of advice concerning officiating adult rec leagues), so I do not feel it is my place to critique him. I just make sure that when I work with him in tight games I communicate as much as possible to keep him focused.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I have an occasional partner about whom I feel the same way, and he is a friend of mine. He has been officiating longer than me and has helped me along the way (once gave me a great piece of advice concerning officiating adult rec leagues), so I do not feel it is my place to critique him. I just make sure that when I work with him in tight games I communicate as much as possible to keep him focused.
"Don't do it" ?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
"Don't do it" ?
Don't do it if I can't be professional and rise above the comments the players were making. I had just started officiating (1st or 2nd year) and many of those players were guys I had played against in pick-up ball and open tournaments sponsored by my military base. So instead of calling T's or telling them I had enough, I was escalating the situations by talking smack or making sarcastic comments.

I stopped taking those games for the rest of that season.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 29, 2016 at 02:14pm.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We have semi-regular partners here in WI.

I probably work 30-35 games with the same person -- my partner from the bad old 2-person days. We have 3-4 people who come in as our third.

I've started taking more games outside my area. I have enjoyed working with new people -- matter of fact, working with 2 people I've never worked with before tonight in a pretty big game. Looking forward to it.

I don't always think it's a positive to "be comfortable." At times I equate that with "lacking proper focus."
Ok, Rich, I know I'm moving to WI next season so I admit I'm probably a bit biased in this comment. But I'll try to keep it objective.

Would you agree that the long-lead contracting process you use in Wisconsin encourages assignment of crews vice individuals? If so, would you also agree that said process stymies the value of working with a wide variety of officials throughout the season?

Do other assignors see it this way? If so, what is the impediment to moving away from the long-lead contracting system? It seems from what I've gathered on the forum that only about 5% of basketball assignors in America operate under this system.

Disclaimer: I promise that when in Rome, I will do as the Romans do.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Fri Jan 29, 2016 at 10:58pm.