The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

1. Don't make giving a T personal.
2. Shorten up the pregame. Nobody's listening.
3. Never EVER get talked into doing rec league.
4. Always let your partners know if there's a hot mom.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Holy crap, you just learned this this year??? Tough break for your partners!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I always work with old guys. I didn't think you guys cared about that stuff anymore.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 09:09am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm positively interacting with players more this year. I'll volunteer to them why I made a call instead of getting irritated when they react.

I've also reigned in my rabbit ears on assistants. If they react to a play but don't address their comments directly to me or my partners, I let it go as long as it's only once or twice in a game. I still address those who make comments directly to me, or who jump up.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 09:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Quote:
I always work with old guys. I didn't think you guys cared about that stuff anymore.
Your never stop caring about hot moms. Their age ceiling just rises and they are hot grandmas.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BadNewsRef;978450]I'm positively interacting with players more this year. I'll volunteer to them why I made a call instead of getting irritated when they react.

Small things like a moment of levity, complementing a good play, answering a quick question during a lull in the action makes us more human. Coming off stoic, indifferent, and robotic IMO make us look like we don't care about what we are doing.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Been working on this side too. Sometimes I just dont have the patience for it.
I hope it didn't need to be said that this was something I was trying to accomplish all the time and in every situation. It was a general statement for me being more approachable than I've been in the past. This is something I've always struggled with - communicating with coaches. I don't tolerate coaches behaving badly, but I will make an attempt, when I see an opening, to try and just listen and communicate more (I'll even initiate conversation) rather than talking at coaches all the time. It's all relative to each situation, and each coach. I've moved around the country a lot and have had to start over in new associations a lot. It takes some time to get used to how things are done in each place and to see coaches enough to get to know their personalities and behaviors. I've been here for 6 years now and finally feel comfortable enough to do this. I'm not making a statement on what others do or should do - this was just my personal response to the OP. It's working for me and has made this season so much more enjoyable than any other since I've been here.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm positively interacting with players more this year.
This too. I make it a point to try and tell a kid "nice pass" or "nice play" or "great hustle" when it's appropriate. I used to never talk to the kids. And I try and smile more - I had been told I look angry when I'm officiating - that's my focused face, but I can see that I would look angry, so I have made a conscious effort to try and look more relaxed and not have that look.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:14pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
This too. I make it a point to try and tell a kid "nice pass" or "nice play" or "great hustle" when it's appropriate. I used to never talk to the kids. And I try and smile more - I had been told I look angry when I'm officiating - that's my focused face, but I can see that I would look angry, so I have made a conscious effort to try and look more relaxed and not have that look.
My nickname used to be "Angry Bird" because I always looked mad when I made calls. I had to learn to relax.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I've learned the opposite - be more approachable to coaches. It has improved my court demeanor significantly. I've found that being more patient and approachable, and even just chatting briefly about the game during dead balls when I'm near the coach has had a very positive affect on my games.
I agree 100% with that approach. It has worked wonderfully for me. Haven't had to T a coach yet, but I did get a kid recently.

I have learned to let a bad call not get to me. It's over and move on. Don't let it rattle you at all. If the coaches, kids, and crowd can't rattle me why let my own iffy call bother me? Move on and finish the game strong!!!!!!!!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

I kind of already knew this, but the more I do this the more I realize it is true.

I learned there is a reason there is a team that only wins one or two times the entire year (at this point of the season). And expect not much out of them as a result.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. This has really helped.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
My nickname used to be "Angry Bird" because I always looked mad when I made calls. I had to learn to relax.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I've had 2-3 officials over the last couple of years tell me this too. These are officials who I listen to and given their feedback it's likely true. That being said it only happens on fouls like an illegal screen, off ball contact etc...

Never on any 'typical' foul on a shot etc...it's only on the off-ball type of calls. Now what it is is me trying to sell the call and that comes off as looking 'angry', but it's just me trying to sell the call and inadvertently looking mad.

I had a game earlier this year where I could watch the replay online I had an illegal screen call. Luckily for me this replay zoomed in on me as I was reporting and (from my standpoint) didn't have the scowl or anything like that just my normal look. So for me I didn't look mad or angry just neutral as usual, which hopefully doesn't look mad
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
I've had 2-3 officials over the last couple of years tell me this too. These are officials who I listen to and given their feedback it's likely true. That being said it only happens on fouls like an illegal screen, off ball contact etc...

Never on any 'typical' foul on a shot etc...it's only on the off-ball type of calls. Now what it is is me trying to sell the call and that comes off as looking 'angry', but it's just me trying to sell the call and inadvertently looking mad.

I had a game earlier this year where I could watch the replay online I had an illegal screen call. Luckily for me this replay zoomed in on me as I was reporting and (from my standpoint) didn't have the scowl or anything like that just my normal look. So for me I didn't look mad or angry just neutral as usual, which hopefully doesn't look mad
I have not observed that with you. If you have done it, it is minor compared to some I've seen that look like they want to kill you.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I have not observed that with you. If you have done it, it is minor compared to some I've seen that look like they want to kill you.
Yeah it's something I've been trying to work on, especially the last 1.5 years. Feel like I'm getting there but something always to work on.

Even that coach in our game a few weeks back that earned a T didn't get the 'angry' reaction/look either....Mainly cause I didn't need to sell the T as everyone in the gym knew he crossed the line...