The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   And 1?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100721-1.html)

mrroberts Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:32am

And 1??

Boys Varsity game.. 4th quarter and maybe 3-4 minutes remaining. Visiting team is winning by 30.

Visiting player drives to the basket and the lead calls a foul and counts the bucket. I'm the trail and didn't have a foul call as I had incidental contact. I'm not concerned on the foul call and whether or not it was a foul but the lead counts the bucket. The contact that I saw was certainly before the shot. He had already signaled and counted the bucket.

After the game I asked him about the call and he said he believed the player had started his shooting motion and started to go up. I still disagree and disagree strongly. The home coach also disagreed and had a few words to say to let the other official know this wasn't the NBA but he was down 30 and that point so he didn't put up that much of a fight.

Any thoughts on how best to handle? Appreciate any feedback.

BryanV21 Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:35am

I think you handled it just fine. You asked your partner what he saw, he was sure about it, so let it go.

Even if he did miss the call, so what? We all miss calls.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Smitty Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:37am

Why did you disagree - it's kind of difficult to help based on what you said. He thought the player was in the act and you didn't. Why?

Raymond Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 977272)
... The home coach also disagreed and had a few words to say to let the other official know this wasn't the NBA but he was down 30 and that point so he didn't put up that much of a fight.

The NBA rule is different than the NFHS rule?

Why are you disagreeing strongly with your partner about a judgment call he made? Give your opinion constructively and move on.

I wasn't there so I don't know what the contact was, but the most I would say is "do you think you could have passed on that contact considering the game situation?"

Rich Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:41am

All I'll say is this:

Too many officials put fouls "on the floor" when they should be calling fouls in the act of shooting. What coaches think about these situations means little to me.

Whether he should've passed on the foul is another question altogether. The score shouldn't dictate that, though. What's incidental in a tie game should be incidental in a 30 point game when it comes to protecting the shooter.

mrroberts Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 977276)
Why did you disagree - it's kind of difficult to help based on what you said. He thought the player was in the act and you didn't. Why?

I believe the player took another step before even rising up for the shot.

No concerns about the contact and whether or not it was a foul. Only reason I mentioned it was I didn't have a whistle on the play. Had I called a foul of my own, I probably would have came in talked it over with him and went with a ruling of a foul on prior to a shot attempt but since I didn't even have a whistle, I didn't feel like I could go in and overrule a call of my partners, even if I disagreed.

JetMetFan Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:47am

BNR beat me to it.

My main questions to ask my partner - or myself - would be:

*Did the call fit the game?
*Was the call needed?

The reason the home coach disagreed is he was catching a butt-whipping and you - meaning the crew not just your partner - gave the other team a +1 that he felt was iffy with under four minutes left in the game. If it was contact Stevie Wonder could see from the last row, go for it. If not, let the game die a natural death and the losing HC won't have anything to say.

mrroberts Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 977277)

Why are you disagreeing strongly with your partner about a judgment call he made? Give your opinion constructively and move on.

I wasn't there so I don't know what the contact was, but the most I would say is "do you think you could have passed on that contact considering the game situation?"

I'll be first to admit I don't follow the NBA closely so I don't know the actual rule but I believe the NBA continuation rule is different than high school...

Is it not?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 977277)

I do not feel like poring through the NBA Rules Book this morning (too many things to do around the house) but if my memory serves me correct (and I am getting senile as I get old), while the wording is different from the language in the NFHS and NCAA Rules Books, the application is the same in all three rules codes.

I am sure that someone more versed in the NBA Rules will come along and enlighten us.

MTD, Sr.

JetMetFan Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 977285)

No concerns about the contact and whether or not it was a foul. Only reason I mentioned it was I didn't have a whistle on the play. Had I called a foul of my own, I probably would have came in talked it over with him and went with a ruling of a foul on prior to a shot attempt but since I didn't even have a whistle, I didn't feel like I could go in and overrule a call of my partners, even if I disagreed.

No, you couldn't and shouldn't overrule him. The only possible way to avoid shots on the play would've been if it was a double whistle and you could have brought that information to your partner when you came together.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 977285)

Doesn't matter. That's not the criterion / ia.

Quote:

I didn't feel like I could go in and overrule a call of my partners, even if I disagreed.
You can never (well, maybe once or twice in the "responsibilities of the Referee" section), overrule your partner.

Raymond Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 977272)
Boys Varsity game.. 4th quarter and maybe 3-4 minutes remaining. Visiting team is winning by 30.

Visiting player drives to the basket and the lead calls a foul and counts the bucket. I'm the trail and didn't have a foul call as I had incidental contact. I'm not concerned on the foul call and whether or not it was a foul but the lead counts the bucket. The contact that I saw was certainly before the shot. He had already signaled and counted the bucket.

After the game I asked him about the call and he said he believed the player had started his shooting motion and started to go up. I still disagree and disagree strongly. The home coach also disagreed and had a few words to say to let the other official know this wasn't the NBA but he was down 30 and that point so he didn't put up that much of a fight.

You do realize that originally you said you passed on the play b/c you thought it was incidental contact? So you disagreed with your partner's judgment twice on this play, whether it was even a foul and whether the contact occurred during the shooting motion.

What did your partner say in regards to why it was a foul and why it was in the act of shooting?

mrroberts Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 977293)
You do realize that originally you said you passed on the play b/c you thought it was incidental contact? So you disagreed with your partner's judgment twice on this play, whether it was even a foul and whether the contact occurred during the shooting motion.

What did your partner say in regards to why it was a foul and why it was in the act of shooting?

Correct, but I wasn't so much concerned with the foul call as I was the awarding the basket to count. There was certainly some contact... I passed as I thought the offensive player created the contact but there really wasn't an advantage gained so I had a no call.

All he said was that he thought the player had started the shooting motion at the time the foul occurred. This was only the 2nd time I had worked with this gentleman. He explained what he felt he saw, I think I saw something different. Didn't figure we needed to go any further at that point.

At the time of the game, I had contemplated coming together with him to discuss the call. Sounds like I made the correct decision and letting it go.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 977300)
All he said was that he thought the player had started the shooting motion at the time the foul occurred.

If his "thoughts" are correct, then he made the right call -- and he used the right logic.

Quote:

Sounds like I made the correct decision and letting it go.
That's true for almost all such calls.

Rich Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:40am

Partners frequently have a different look.

Last night I had a blocked shot right in front of me. I had it clean up top. Trail did not, called a foul. I was pretty damned close to the play and did my best to get a good, open look.

Defensive coach right in front of the T said nothing to him. Nor to me.

I'm sure my partner was right. Drive came out of his primary and I'd have no problem with either one of us getting something on this play.

I really don't get into the business of evaluating my partner's calls during a game.