The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The timer didn't make a mistake. I'm still putting time back. I look at the clock when a request is made -- that's how much time I'm giving them. If I'm a bit slow in blowing my whistle, I'm not penalizing the team for that.

You and Nevada can live on your island on this one.
I agree with your philosophy, but based on this video, I just don't see how they can put 1 second back. The officials don't seem to even recognize the timeout request until after the horn has sounded. I see no evidence that would suggest they had definite knowledge to put 1 second back on the clock.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 09:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I agree with your philosophy, but based on this video, I just don't see how they can put 1 second back. The officials don't seem to even recognize the timeout request until after the horn has sounded. I see no evidence that would suggest they had definite knowledge to put 1 second back on the clock.
Perhaps they just didn't react and blow a whistle. Hearing a coach request a timeout wouldn't show on film.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Pretty harsh Rich. Banishing me to an island…with Nevada... for disagreeing with you. I'm going to invoke the VIII Amendment and it's prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment…my wife would suggest Nevada do the same…
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
And this is where we just don't know without being able to actually ask the officials who worked the game. Is it possible that they knew there was a TO with time left, but didn't know the time and guessed? I suppose, I'd like to hope not, but it is at least possible. So assuming positive intentions from the crew, I think it's easiest to justify in my mind that they saw the request, noted the time, and for whatever reason, were simply late in the visual reaction. (maybe they were just trying to have a patient whistle.......... ha!)
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 12:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Pretty harsh Rich. Banishing me to an island…with Nevada... for disagreeing with you. I'm going to invoke the VIII Amendment and it's prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment…my wife would suggest Nevada do the same…
Heh. That's funny, I don't care who you are...
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The timer didn't make a mistake. I'm still putting time back. I look at the clock when a request is made -- that's how much time I'm giving them. If I'm a bit slow in blowing my whistle, I'm not penalizing the team for that.

I'm with Rich on this one. Had this last night. I did exactly what he described above. I knew the timeout was coming and was looking at the clock while listening for the coach.