The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Post regulation tech

Would like some input on a situation. Post regulation tech when game is tied is shot to start the OT. But a tech on a team that is leading by a point is shot as part of fourth quarter? Seems a little bizarre. Would be better to be tied than up by a point? Maybe I am just reading it wrong.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

You are correct.
The rationale is that there is no way to know if the extra period will be necessary when the game isn't tied unless the FTs are attempted immediately.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the confirmation. Seems like to be consistent, that if they tied it up, the next ft would start OT. But it is a rare play so...
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. Seems like to be consistent, that if they tied it up, the next ft would start OT. But it is a rare play so...
Am I reading this right?

If the first FT is made you want to count it then shoot the second at the start of OT?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Am I reading this right?

If the first FT is made you want to count it then shoot the second at the start of OT?
The FTs are either both part of the 4th or part of OT depending on whether the score is tied when the T occurs.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10, is rectified."

If the foul occurs in the fourth period, the penalty occurs in the fourth period. If the foul occurs in the OT, the penalty occurs in the OT.

If the score is tied, the fourth period ends and the OT begins when the ball becomes dead at the end of the fourth. If the score is not tied, the fourth period continues until either the officials leave the visual confines or the score has become tied, there are no further penalties to enforce, and the ball is dead.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would like some input on a situation. Post regulation tech when game is tied is shot to start the OT. But a tech on a team that is leading by a point is shot as part of fourth quarter? Seems a little bizarre. Would be better to be tied than up by a point? Maybe I am just reading it wrong.
On the surface it does seem like a bit of a loophole in a rule, but when you think about it, and you read Nevada and Altor's comments, it really actually is consistent with the way the rules are written. May seem odd, but is ultimately fair.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
"No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10, is rectified."

If the foul occurs in the fourth period, the penalty occurs in the fourth period. If the foul occurs in the OT, the penalty occurs in the OT.

If the score is tied, the fourth period ends and the OT begins when the ball becomes dead at the end of the fourth. If the score is not tied, the fourth period continues until either the officials leave the visual confines or the score has become tied, there are no further penalties to enforce, and the ball is dead.
Strictly speaking the extra period doesn't begin until the ball becomes live at the start of it. That could be either upon the release of the toss for a jumpball or putting the ball at the disposal of a free thrower.

While you may wish to think of everything after the end of the 4th quarter as part of the OT to help you with administration, you would be incorrect in a few situations. Notification of a scoring error or a CE situation prior to the ball becoming live in the extra period would be two such situations.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The FTs are either both part of the 4th or part of OT depending on whether the score is tied when the T occurs.
Didn't need clarification, we all know this -- or should. Sounded like this is what he wanted to do.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Didn't need clarification, we all know this -- or should. Sounded like this is what he wanted to do.
Camron also hinted at the reasoning for the discrepancy. No need to tell him what's needed and what's not.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Bottom line is, don't get a technical foul after time expires.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Camron also hinted at the reasoning for the discrepancy. No need to tell him what's needed and what's not.
There was no discrepancy. I wanted to know why he thought 1 shot in 4th and in 1 in OT was "consistent" if that was indeed what he was saying. I didn't need to know the rule.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

I found the reference if the team winning by one gets a T after regulation, you shoot the shots as part of the 4th quarter to determine if OT is necessary.

I can't find a T in a tie game at the end of regulation. ??????

I found the case of a T of a player dunking after a quarter and starting the next quarter with the shots.

“10.3.3 SITUATION D: Only a few seconds remain in the second quarter. Team A is advancing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. A1 is driving toward his/her basket and is about to dunk the ball when the signal indicates the end of the first half. Shortly after the signal, A1 dunks the ball and hangs on to the rim. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul for dunking a dead ball. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach and results in the loss of coaching-box privileges since A1 is considered bench personnel. The third quarter begins with Team B being awarded two free throws and the ball at the division line. The alternating-possession arrow is not affected and remains unchanged. (4-34-2; 5-6-2 Exception 4)”

Would this apply to a tied game going into OT? Or is there a rule reference I am missing?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
I can't find a T in a tie game at the end of regulation. ??????
There's at least one case play with this scenario.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
There was no discrepancy. I wanted to know why he thought 1 shot in 4th and in 1 in OT was "consistent" if that was indeed what he was saying. I didn't need to know the rule.
And Camron's point was in response to the OP, even though he included your post in his answer. He was adding to your answer, not really talking to you. Regardless, I've made my point and rather than hijack the thread I'll drop it.