The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Bounce Before Inbound?

This is a small thing, but do any of you bounce/dribble the ball once before turning and handing the ball to the inbounder (in a situation where you're not bouncing it to the inbounder). It seems like it may be helpful to grab everyone's attention since we don't whistle before every inbound (in high school).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Indicating ball is coming in play

I usually just say "ball" loud enough for all the players to hear prior to handing the ball or bouncing the ball during an out of bounds throw in.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 10:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by spret93 View Post
This is a small thing, but do any of you bounce/dribble the ball once before turning and handing the ball to the inbounder (in a situation where you're not bouncing it to the inbounder). It seems like it may be helpful to grab everyone's attention since we don't whistle before every inbound (in high school).

I have one supervisor who never wants his officials ever bouncing the ball except as part of throwing the ball to a thrower.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 11:02pm
High Five Master

I just say "play ball" or "here we go"

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

I just say "Play!"

I do it on all endline throw-ins in froncourt, and sporadically everywhere else, when I feel it's necessary.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I started doing exactly this this year, for these exact reasons. No one has objected yet. I also verbalize; my word preference is "coming in" before handing the ball to the thrower.

Of course, as BNR points out, if I had a commissioner or supervisor who didn't want me to do this, I wouldn't.

Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't. And I personally don't like it.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't whistle or say much 90% of the time, but sometimes a quick whistle lets everyone know we are going. Especially when you have players who don't seem to realize the ball is ready.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 12:50am
AremRed

Sometimes I bounce, sometimes I don't. I whistle for almost all front court throw-ins though.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 12:51pm
Stubborn Member

I don't say or do anything to let the players know I'm about to hand the ball to the inbounder. Nothing I know of says I have to do that, and nobody (partners, assignors, etc) has told me I have to do that.

If I say anything it's "here you go" to the inbounder to get their attention before handing or bouncing them the ball.

I will give the team or teams a couple seconds to get ready for the inbounds, but no true warning. Unless, of course, it's after a timeout and I blow my whistle.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2016, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I started doing exactly this this year, for these exact reasons. No one has objected yet. I also verbalize; my word preference is "coming in" before handing the ball to the thrower.

Of course, as BNR points out, if I had a commissioner or supervisor who didn't want me to do this, I wouldn't.

Same with me, started consciously doing it this year and use the same verbiage. Other than following timeouts, I'll give a whistle on FC inbound plays in close games under a minute or so.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I only do this as part of my initial toss routine. On OOB plays, I just verbalize "ball in" and hand it, unless we are coming out of a timeout or quarter, which means I whistle before I say "ball in". Bouncing it to yourself seems like you are just asking for a mishandling,dribble off the foot, etc