The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Basic lightweight pregame jacket recommendations...?

Yes, it's January, but I need a HS pregame jacket and I just can't find one I like- and I am being picky, but I like what I like...

I'm looking for a lightweight jacket, not a heavy one with a lot of cloth like the old Smitty jacket I have (I like it, but want a "thinner" jacket). I don't want a cloth or cotton lining (too heavy and hot) probably some type of nylon-ish lining... I'd prefer something like a Nike Dry-Fit or Basic Eastbay nylon but our board frowns on "personal choice" kind of thing.... It's not a really big deal, but since I'm having to spend more than 10 minutes finding what I know I'll like- does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Z
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest getting the jacket that every other official in your association wears. IOW whatever the consensus is in your area. Unless you have no ambition to advance.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I would suggest getting the jacket that every other official in your association wears. IOW whatever the consensus is in your area. Unless you have no ambition to advance.
great answer...when you walk out there with three different jackets on as a crew you look sloppy at best.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
great answer...when you walk out there with three different jackets on as a crew you look sloppy at best.
Well that would be impossible here. And the last time I looked, most jackets are not exactly the same anyway unless you buy the exact same style and brand. I have a jacket is probably over 10 years old, but I only wear it for basketball officiating and looks like new. They stopped making that jacket and there is almost no way I would match with a single partner. But you cannot tell anyway because all of our jackets are black. Some wear their jackets better than others.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
And, if it has a lining, see if your tailor can take it out.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well that would be impossible here. And the last time I looked, most jackets are not exactly the same anyway unless you buy the exact same style and brand. I have a jacket is probably over 10 years old, but I only wear it for basketball officiating and looks like new. They stopped making that jacket and there is almost no way I would match with a single partner. But you cannot tell anyway because all of our jackets are black. Some wear their jackets better than others.

Peace
Impossible?

Maybe we are just a step ahead in my association but all jackets that are worn have to be ordered through the association to ensure uniformity. We have guys with jackets that are 10+ years old and they match mine which I purchased when I came here 3 years ago.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 05:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Impossible?

Maybe we are just a step ahead in my association but all jackets that are worn have to be ordered through the association to ensure uniformity. We have guys with jackets that are 10+ years old and they match mine which I purchased when I came here 3 years ago.
Yes impossible. We do not work through one entity or association here. Associations are only training organizations, not assigning ones (unless they want to get into some tax trouble).

And the jacket I have stopped being made some time ago. It is the old Sahara jacket that used to be used by the CCA before they changed the jacket style with the type of sleeves (white shoulder design). You cannot buy that anymore anywhere as the company stopped making them or went out of business either way. You could not buy a jacket now that is that style. And it looks almost the same as any other jacket.

This need to match everything is silly to me and always has been. We do not wear the same shoes. We do not wear the exact same pants. We do not wear the same shirts or style of shirts in many cases. No one would notice unless they stand right next to you anyway. And the jacket is something that is black and looks the same from a far unless you really inspected them. We all are different heights, sizes and have different looks. And most of all I work with guys all the time from different areas and associations often and trying to match that stuff would be impossible as I stated. People do not buy stuff through their association, they wear whatever they like as long as it fits the classifications in color and basic style.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

When I'm sitting in the stands and see the refs come in with slightly different jackets, I just lose all respect for them and know its gonna be a crappy game.

I know I'll have to yell "call it both ways," "watch the reaching in," and "C'mon, he's over the back" a lot more in those games.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 09:59pm
High Five Master

The year I joined the association, the member gift was a new jacket with assn logo on left breast of jacket. I like it, it's comfortable and unless you are with a very new guy, you always match. Also, they were ordered from a local guy who is also an official who did all the logo work, so new guys can get one, just have to pay for it whereas mine was free

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

You all don't wear the same shirts? Must look odd, one with stripes and one without. But on a serious note I have had my HS jacket for 30 years and anyone coming into our asociation this year as a varsity official can and is expected to wear the exact same jacket that I have. It is still available and can be ordered through our association. Not being dressed in unison creates an immediate image of one official being better or less experienced then their partner. I carry two shirts in my bag, one with the black insert and one without to ensure that I match my partner or partners. Granted there are slight differences in pants, pleated or non, and shoes are a personal choice as well but people don't focus on the small details. They look at the bigger picture and a jacket is the largest thing you are wearing when you make your first impression. As stated previously, if one really wants to advance, your personal appearance is the first thing that will either help you advance or hold you back.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes impossible. We do not work through one entity or association here. Associations are only training organizations, not assigning ones (unless they want to get into some tax trouble).

Peace
I work with guys from different associations, different states, different levels...and everyone of them, when they do a game with our association wears our jacket, it is about professionalism if you ask me but to each their own. If we get in a situation where someone doesn't have one then no one wears a jacket.

I'm military and PCS every few years...I have so many damn jackets it isn't funny. They wear a pull over here, they wear a button up there. Sure they are all black but I'm not wearing a different jacket than my partners.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I work with guys from different associations, different states, different levels...and everyone of them, when they do a game with our association wears our jacket, it is about professionalism if you ask me but to each their own. If we get in a situation where someone doesn't have one then no one wears a jacket.

I'm military and PCS every few years...I have so many damn jackets it isn't funny. They wear a pull over here, they wear a button up there. Sure they are all black but I'm not wearing a different jacket than my partners.
Well we do not get assigned games by association. I work for a conference that a guy that might be associated with multiple local officials associations (LOAs). And it is not a requirement to be a member of an specific association in most cases to get games. I just worked many Christmas Tournaments and many of us are members of multiple or not the same organizations for multiple reasons.

Now I get that you might be military or have that background, but I find it odd that there are multiple vendors that sell multiple brands of shirts, pants, jackets and shoes but it would be expected to buy only one brand throughout an organization. So do you guys only buy one brand of shirt? So what if that shirt is discontinued, does that mean I have to buy a different shirt because the entire association cannot have that shirt anymore?

I have things for almost 10 years that I take care of and still look good. I am not buying new stuff to fulfill some silly standard of uniformity that would be almost impossible to achieve. I know I am not wearing specific shoes just to make me totally uniform when my feet are too important to wear a pair of shoes that do not fit right or that hurt me in the long run. Is the uniformity stop at the jacket or apply to everything like the socks I wear?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=J
So do you guys only buy one brand of shirt? So what if that shirt is discontinued, does that mean I have to buy a different shirt because the entire association cannot have that shirt anymore?

[/QUOTE]

Our state has 2 approved vendors for shirts...so yes, hands are tied there.

We can buy pants wherever we want as long as they are beltless and pleated

We can wear what shoes we want...that is pretty much our one area of "freedom".

During our many Christmas Tournaments we didn't wear jackets if one of the three didn't have the correct one.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
Yes, it's January, but I need a HS pregame jacket and I just can't find one I like- and I am being picky, but I like what I like...

I'm looking for a lightweight jacket, not a heavy one with a lot of cloth like the old Smitty jacket I have (I like it, but want a "thinner" jacket). I don't want a cloth or cotton lining (too heavy and hot) probably some type of nylon-ish lining... I'd prefer something like a Nike Dry-Fit or Basic Eastbay nylon but our board frowns on "personal choice" kind of thing.... It's not a really big deal, but since I'm having to spend more than 10 minutes finding what I know I'll like- does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Z
I have the newer Honigs Jacket, and it is much lighter than the previous one I owned.

Zip Front Premium Bball Jacket - Basketball - Sports
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Our state has 2 approved vendors for shirts...so yes, hands are tied there.

We can buy pants wherever we want as long as they are beltless and pleated

We can wear what shoes we want...that is pretty much our one area of "freedom".

During our many Christmas Tournaments we didn't wear jackets if one of the three didn't have the correct one.
Well we have about 3 vendors that are often used to sell stuff with a logo on them. All of our shirts have to have a logo/patch/embroidery on them. No particular brand and when the IHSA made one vendor the officials vendor, it caused problems. So basically we can wear multiple styles, brands or types as long as they fit the basic standard as stated in the uniform, striped shirts, black pants, black shoes, black socks and a whistle with a lanyard. You have that basic uniform you are good. I do not care if one person has a different shirt than another official. Heck half the time I do not notice or know if they have a different shirt.

Peace