The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 01:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is why I talk about the "culture" of where you live and work. What you do does not necessarily get repeated in other places.

We wear jackets almost all the time. It is apart of the culture of what we do for the most part during the regular season and post season.

Peace
We wear ours every night. The only time it comes off early is if BOTH teams leave the floor -- then we'll go back to the locker room quickly and pack our jackets.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We wear ours every night. The only time it comes off early is if BOTH teams leave the floor -- then we'll go back to the locker room quickly and pack our jackets.
While we do the same, and we're about to transition from a dark blue jacket to a black jacket, I wish we'd just eliminate them completely. There really is no need for them.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 02:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While we do the same, and we're about to transition from a dark blue jacket to a black jacket, I wish we'd just eliminate them completely. There really is no need for them.
I have no problem with jackets at all. A lot of the time the gyms are cold and not at a comfortable temperature when we are just standing around. I like the fact that everyone else is wearing jackets, so why not us?

Years ago they used to allow the option of dark blue or black. Now we just can only wear black, which is cool with me.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Definition Of Insanity ???

We had been happy with our locally produced jackets for a very long time, until we were told that they had some international trademark issues. We went to a new locally produced jacket with a new local logo, jackets selected by our executive committee. We didn't like it, it wasn't very wrinkle resistant, and had a satin finish (remember disco roller skating?). Executive committee decided to give those that didn't like the satin jacket a partial refund and came up a new locally produced jacket. First orders were fine. Last few orders were puffy jackets designed for outdoors (remember George Costanza in the liquor store in Seinfeld?). We've just received notice that those that don't like their puffy jackets will be given some type of refund.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 08, 2016 at 11:18pm.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 11:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We had been happy with our locally produced jackets for a very long time, until we were told that they had some international trademark issues. We went to a new locally produced jacket with a new local logo, jackets selected by our executive committee. We didn't like it, it wasn't very wrinkle resistant, and had a satin finish (remember disco roller skating?). Executive committee decided to give those that didn't like the satin jacket a partial refund and came up a new locally produced jacket. First orders were fine. Last few orders were puffy jackets designed for outdoors (remember George Costanza in the liquor store in Seinfeld?). We've just received notice that those that don't like their puffy jackets will be given some type of refund.
What I'd really like to see is the current college jacket with no white and no logo. The waistband is the same material as the sleeve cuffs.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm too new school.... the current and old ref jackets are just that... Old, ugly, hot....

Same one my dad wore in the 1980s...

I'd love to have some type of jacket I'd actually wear outside a gym.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The jacket is not meant to be worn outside. It lives in my bag and is worn about 30 minutes and goes back in my bag at halftime.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 03:46pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The jacket is not meant to be worn outside. It lives in my bag and is worn about 30 minutes and goes back in my bag at halftime.

Several of our guys wear them to and from gym. I don't bc I just don't but it's not really that frowned on here
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
Maybe I'm too new school.... the current and old ref jackets are just that... Old, ugly, hot....

Same one my dad wore in the 1980s...

I'd love to have some type of jacket I'd actually wear outside a gym.
My thoughts exactly! Have our prayers been answered with this one?
https://www.purchaseofficials.com/cg...&category=3131

If you click back from that page, it's apparently been approved in Ohio and is offered with an OHSAA patch. They are also offering an Illinois-patched version, though not saying anything about whether it's been "approved."

This needs to catch on NOW! Has anyone else seen these in use in other states?

I know there will be pushback to keep the corny old jackets, but these are also less expensive somehow!

OK, OK, I know I'm probably a little too excited
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 01:10am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
My thoughts exactly! Have our prayers been answered with this one?
https://www.purchaseofficials.com/cg...&category=3131

If you click back from that page, it's apparently been approved in Ohio and is offered with an OHSAA patch. They are also offering an Illinois-patched version, though not saying anything about whether it's been "approved."

This needs to catch on NOW! Has anyone else seen these in use in other states?

I know there will be pushback to keep the corny old jackets, but these are also less expensive somehow!

OK, OK, I know I'm probably a little too excited

I do not know who came up with the stand up collar design but I do not care for it.

The Smitty Zip Front Jacket is what Mark, Jr., and I wear. We each have an OhioHSAA logo jacket and an IAABO logo jacket in that style. And back when I still worked college ball I had that the Smitty style jacket with the CCA logo. I retired from college ball just a the style of jackets that are being worn know we the required jackets.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I do not know who came up with the stand up collar design but I do not care for it.

The Smitty Zip Front Jacket is what Mark, Jr., and I wear. We each have an OhioHSAA logo jacket and an IAABO logo jacket in that style.
So I'm assuming a few officials in your association are already wearing these standup-collar jackets, or will this be the first season?
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 08:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
So I'm assuming a few officials in your association are already wearing these standup-collar jackets, or will this be the first season?

The OhioHSAA mandates that basketball warmup jackets shall have be black with the embroidered OhioHSAA logo. There are only two websites that are allowed to sell the jackets and both carry the Smitty jackets, including the high collar jacket.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio