The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33 View Post
I have the newer Honigs Jacket, and it is much lighter than the previous one I owned.

Zip Front Premium Bball Jacket - Basketball - Sports
I wish someone would make one that didn't have the really tight elastic around the waist.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

They change our logo so often that everyone matches as we have to keep up with the uniforms.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I assume most would scoff at this jacket...but it is very lightweight, sharp, and doesn't look like it was made in 1972.

https://officiallysports.com/index.c...17&page=detail

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
I assume most would scoff at this jacket...but it is very lightweight, sharp, and doesn't look like it was made in 1972.

https://officiallysports.com/index.c...17&page=detail

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
not for basketball.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
not for basketball.
says who?
browse to Basketball/Pregame Jackets...
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
says who?
How many varsity officials have you seen wearing all weather jackets with ties at the bottom?
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 11:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
says who?
This is where I agree that we should wear a basic style the same, but to match the exact jacket is silly.

Just like we all do not wear any type of striped shirt, we wear a V-neck shirt in most cases, but the fabric might be slightly different from one person to another. Or we wear pants without belts, but no one cares if we wear Sansabelt vs. Gerry Davis Pants or even Honigs as long as you look basically the same.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How many varsity officials have you seen wearing all weather jackets with ties at the bottom?
just one.
and he's done multiple state playoff games in 3 different districts and never heard a word about it. (pssst, it's me)
so, all this "get the right jacket if you want to advance crap" is silly.

NOW - if my assignor, district rep, OR governing state association noted that it wasn't approved...then that'd be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is where I agree that we should wear a basic style the same, but to match the exact jacket is silly.

Just like we all do not wear any type of striped shirt, we wear a V-neck shirt in most cases, but the fabric might be slightly different from one person to another. Or we wear pants without belts, but no one cares if we wear Sansabelt vs. Gerry Davis Pants or even Honigs as long as you look basically the same.

Peace
+1 what he said.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

SO the logic is that the outlier is that one official has taken this path and it's worked for him so it should work for anyone?
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
just one.
and he's done multiple state playoff games in 3 different districts and never heard a word about it. (pssst, it's me)
so, all this "get the right jacket if you want to advance crap" is silly.

NOW - if my assignor, district rep, OR governing state association noted that it wasn't approved...then that'd be a different story.
I cannot speak directly for your area, but working playoff games of some kind is not always a tacit approval of everything an official does. There might be other factors. But I would be concerned if only one person is doing something and is not overly successful to everyone else around them. It might be a coincidence what jacket he wears compared to what he does in the playoffs.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SO the logic is that the outlier is that one official has taken this path and it's worked for him so it should work for anyone?
Quote:
I cannot speak directly for your area, but working playoff games of some kind is not always a tacit approval of everything an official does. There might be other factors. But I would be concerned if only one person is doing something and is not overly successful to everyone else around them. It might be a coincidence what jacket he wears compared to what he does in the playoffs.

Peace
the ability to advance based on one's jacket was brought up.
i simply stated how it hasn't affected me in that aspect.
the OP can take or leave that. i far from suggested that he has to buy this jacket to advance OR that my jacket caused me to advance OR that i'm puffing my chest from how many games i've done.

the OP asked for recommendations. and even tho he stated: our board frowns on "personal choice" kind of thing.... It's not a really big deal.
i just gave him one a suggestion based on his thread title.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Advance to another level and then use your argument...it carries zero water at the moment.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
the OP can take or leave that. i far from suggested that he has to buy this jacket to advance OR that my jacket caused me to advance OR that i'm puffing my chest from how many games i've done.

the OP asked for recommendations. and even tho he stated: our board frowns on "personal choice" kind of thing.... It's not a really big deal.
i just gave him one a suggestion based on his thread title.
And all I said it seem silly for everyone to buy the same jacket when it is possible that yearly a vendor stops selling a particular brand. This is my 20th year an I would be really upset if I had to buy a new jacket every other year because a vendor stopped selling a jacket and I and others had to buy something new that is hardly used. And I think I also said basically I am glad I do not have an association that has that requirement.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Advance to another level and then use your argument...it carries zero water at the moment.
LOL
i have no "argument"
just made a suggestion that was criticized and apologize for derailing the thread.
at least i gave him a suggestion. most just told the OP what he already knew, which is helpful.

Quote:
And all I said it seem silly for everyone to buy the same jacket when it is possible that yearly a vendor stops selling a particular brand. This is my 20th year an I would be really upset if I had to buy a new jacket every other year because a vendor stopped selling a jacket and I and others had to buy something new that is hardly used. And I think I also said basically I am glad I do not have an association that has that requirement.

Peace
which i 100% agree with. most of time we don't even wear jackets in the regular season, whether we all have them or not. we do however (most of the time) wear them in the playoffs...in which we are evaluated, which would be where "fashion and crew uniformity tips" would come up and be noted, which is the main reason that i even brought that up.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

which i 100% agree with. most of time we don't even wear jackets in the regular season, whether we all have them or not. we do however (most of the time) wear them in the playoffs...in which we are evaluated, which would be where "fashion and crew uniformity tips" would come up and be noted, which is the main reason that i even brought that up.
This is why I talk about the "culture" of where you live and work. What you do does not necessarily get repeated in other places.

We wear jackets almost all the time. It is apart of the culture of what we do for the most part during the regular season and post season.

Peace