The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Took two tries to answer a question...

But in my defense, I thought the coach was asking about something else.

Had a varsity game Saturday...I am C, opposite table. A1 trips over her own foot. B1 grabs the loose ball and immediately attempts an outlet pass that hits B2 in the back of the foot so that the ball goes directly to A1 who is now sitting on the court. The ball "rattles around" between the feet of A1 before she grabs it and flips it to A2 for an easy lay-up. Coach for team B starts yelling for a kicked ball. A couple of trips down the floor later I am standing near him as L watching because of a full court press and he asks "How was that not a kicked ball?" I just respond that it has to be intentional and move as the press is broken. He starts in about how she (A1) was controlling the ball with her feet. OK...now I get the confusion.

Fortunately I call a foul and after reporting it he walks over toward me. I quickly say "Coach, from my angle she did not have control of the ball with her feet because I saw it moving." He stopped in his tracks and said "Good enough."

Moral of the story...be careful with your answers because you may not be answering the question they are asking.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a little confused. You can "control" a ball when it's moving, and there's no requirement to "control" a ball to have a kicked ball violation.

I'm glad you were able to pacify the coach, but I don't understand either his question or your answer.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

If I am not mistaken, under the NFHS rules for it to be considered a kick it has to be intentional. I don't consider a ball that hits the feet of a player sitting on the court...after it hits the back of the foot of a player running away from the player on the floor...to be an intentional act.

I just used the term "control" because he did and it made the explanation quick (as I suspected it would). I am assuming he thought it was a kick because from his angle it looked like she controlled the ball with her feet (i.e. held it between them). It would be really hard to "accidently" gain control of the ball. At some point the actions of the player on the floor would have to become intentional in nature.

If my OP confused you, I apologize.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
If I am not mistaken, under the NFHS rules for it to be considered a kick it has to be intentional. I don't consider a ball that hits the feet of a player sitting on the court...after it hits the back of the foot of a player running away from the player on the floor...to be an intentional act.
That's all correct. It has nothing to do with "control."
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's all correct. It has nothing to do with "control."
I know that...you know that...99% of officials know that...

Never mind...moving on.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW: When you use the wrong language because the coach did, you help perpetuate myths. Your answer (the ball moving) doesn't mean anything in terms of whether there was a kicking violation -- if she intentionally moved the ball with her leg to make it easier to get her hands on it (a common action) it would be a violation. IMO, you would have been far better off answering: "Coach, from my angle she never intentionally used her foot or leg on the ball."