The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 01, 2016, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let Freddy Write The Fashion Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
I'm glad NFHS is trying to get this under control...
I would appreciate it if the NFHS made the fashion rules a little simpler for coaches, players, and officials (yes, that's right, I include officials as a confused group), to understand.

Get rid of the beige color option. Prewrap now comes in every color of the rainbow, not just beige, so limit the color options to black, white, or the jersey color.

Get rid of the term compression shorts. This equipment can easily fall under the category of tights, or sleeves, with both being under the same color restrictions. What the heck is the uniform color (jersey, or shorts) anyway? Bye bye compression shorts.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 01, 2016 at 01:07pm.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2016, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would appreciate it if the NFHS made the fashion rules a little simpler for coaches, players, and officials (yes, that's right, I include officials as a confused group), to understand.

Get rid of the beige color option. Prewrap now comes in every color of the rainbow, not just beige, so limit the color options to black, white, or the jersey color.

Get rid of the term compression shorts. This equipment can easily fall under the category of tights, or sleeves, with both being under the same color restrictions. What the heck is the uniform color (jersey, or shorts) anyway? Bye bye compression shorts.
It's what most players wear besides boxers or whiteytighties. Fashion rules are only a minor annoyance to me 1-2 weeks out of the year when they change rules.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2016, 04:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Third Choice, Athletic Supporter, I Still Wear One ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
It's what most players wear besides boxers or whiteytighties.
Great. Now I've got Tom Cruise in tighty whities, and Bob Seger's Old Time Rock and Roll , in my head for the rest of the day.

Are you talking about compression shorts? If you are, do you enforce the compression shorts rule (color of the uniform), or do you default to calling them tights, or leg sleeves (black, white, beige, or jersey color)?

And if you don't default to calling them tights, or leg sleeves, and choose to call them compression shorts, how do you determine the color of the uniform? Color of the jersey, like the undershirt rule? Or, color of the shorts, like the old compression shorts rule?

Bye bye compression shorts.

Silly NFHS monkeys (I miss Jurassic Referee).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 01, 2016 at 05:54pm.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you talking about compression shorts? If you are, do you enforce the compression shorts rule (color of the uniform), or do you default to calling them tights, or leg sleeves (black, white, beige, or jersey color)?

And if you don't default to calling them tights, or leg sleeves, and choose to call them compression shorts, how do you determine the color of the uniform? Color of the jersey, like the undershirt rule? Or, color of the shorts, like the old compression shorts rule?

Bye bye compression shorts.

Silly NFHS monkeys (I miss Jurassic Referee).
Yeah, I was talking about compression shorts. My attempt at a comical view of the matter is it's underwear. I'm not going to go looking for it. Coaches saying "yes" is enough for me.

Similar to Jersey color is the rule now.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What the heck is the uniform color (jersey, or shorts) anyway? Bye bye compression shorts.
I admit I default to the color of the game shorts when it comes to compression shorts but it could easily be argued that we should go by the color of the jersey since NF doesn't mandate the game shorts' color.

NF could help itself - and us - if it did what NCAA does: Add in a definition of the uniform. NCAAW 1-22-1 defines the uniform as the game jersey and shorts. The rule book also says a perceptible majority (language added this season) of the game shorts has to be the color of the neutral zone of the jersey. Problem solved.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 10:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bye Bye Compression Shorts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
... compression shorts ... Similar to Jersey color is the rule now.
Check again. The rule states "uniform" color. Now find me a NFHS definition of uniform color? Jersey? Shorts?

There is absolutely no need for any reference to compression shorts in the NFHS rulebook. Tights, or leg sleeves (black, white, beige, or jersey color) should cover anything that's now called compression shorts. Maybe there used to be need for compression shorts in the rules when tights were illegal, but tights are now legal.

Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 10:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Providing The Collars And Cuffs Match (James Bond) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
NCAAW 1-22-1 defines the uniform as the game jersey and shorts. The rule book also says a perceptible majority (language added this season) of the game shorts has to be the color of the neutral zone of the jersey. Problem solved.
This will be costly for high schools. Most schools around here give each player two jerseys (home and road) and one pair of shorts.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 02, 2016 at 12:18pm.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This will be costly for high schools. Most schools around here give each player two jerseys (home and road) and one pair of shorts.
That's fine but it doesn't have to be the way the NCAA does things. Just clarify the rule to say compression shorts have to be the same color as either the jersey or the game shorts. I think the intent of the rule is the color of the game shorts but putting it in writing wouldn't hurt.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)