The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

Player or team member?

Question 1: Dribbler A1 becomes frustrated at an official and throws the ball intentionally and hits an official. Do you merely tech the player or eject the player?

Question 2: Immediately after the final horn to end the game, player A1 throws the ball intentionally and hits an official. Is A1 now a player or a team member?

Actual Situation: Earlier during a game the head coach is assessed a tech. Later in the game, his assistant is assessed a tech. Immediately after the game, A1 throws the ball intentionally and hits the official. Is this tech also an indirect on the coach? i.e. is A1 now a player or a team member?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Question 1: Dribbler A1 becomes frustrated at an official and throws the ball intentionally and hits an official. Do you merely tech the player or eject the player?

Question 2: Immediately after the final horn to end the game, player A1 throws the ball intentionally and hits an official. Is A1 now a player or a team member?

Actual Situation: Earlier during a game the head coach is assessed a tech. Later in the game, his assistant is assessed a tech. Immediately after the game, A1 throws the ball intentionally and hits the official. Is this tech also an indirect on the coach? i.e. is A1 now a player or a team member?
1. Flagrant technical foul. This act is completely unacceptable.
2. He is a team member after the quarter has ended. The definition of a player is no longer met.
3. Yes, the head coach is charged with an indirect technical and disqualified.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. Flagrant technical foul. This act is completely unacceptable.
2. He is a team member after the quarter has ended. The definition of a player is no longer met.
3. Yes, the head coach is charged with an indirect technical and disqualified.
Nevada,

Not disagreeing with you. But for clarification, the reason "definition of a player is no longer met" is the part about the intermission?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Nevada,

Not disagreeing with you. But for clarification, the reason "definition of a player is no longer met" is the part about the intermission?
See case 4.34.2

And, it only matters (to the officials) if there is to be an OT. (It might make some difference in how the State handles it.)
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Hope you gave A1 a flagrant and a nice write-up.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2016, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
See case 4.34.2

And, it only matters (to the officials) if there is to be an OT. (It might make some difference in how the State handles it.)
Yes. In our state, the ejection carries an additional 2 games penalty.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 02:27am
AremRed

A couple years ago in my 2nd season refereeing I was doing a JV game and threw out a kid for throwing the ball at me. Here's the clip: https://streamable.com/vsz6

Note: I did not call a flagrant tech -- the kid had been whacked earlier in the game as part of a double tech so he was gone anyway.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
A couple years ago in my 2nd season refereeing I was doing a JV game and threw out a kid for throwing the ball at me. Here's the clip: https://streamable.com/vsz6

Note: I did not call a flagrant tech -- the kid had been whacked earlier in the game as part of a double tech so he was gone anyway.
Dude was just passing you the ball.

That red34 though.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

White #5 probably should have been stuck, too. Clapping in the face of the kid who just got tossed - as well as two other opponents - is more than a little bit of taunting. But that's just me
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)