The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Add a name to the team member list ???

Penalized when they occur, after ten minute time limit; A maximum of one technical foul per team regardless of the number of infractions, 3a, 3b, 3c; The infraction occurs when the scorer is advised to add to or change the scorebook; The foul must be charged when it occurs and enforced when the ball next becomes live; Once the ball has become live, it is too late to penalize: A team shall not add a name to the team member list after the ten minute time limit; Team technical foul; When such a player legally enters the court, the player’s name, and number, must be entered into the scorebook.

What if said player participates, unbeknown to an official, and is then substituted for, and is sitting on the bench? It seems too late to penalize. Does it make a difference if while playing, said player scored, or fouled, that must be written in the book, or if said player didn't do anything, like scoring, or fouling, to be written in the book? Can it be penalized the next time the player enters the game, before the ball becomes live?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

As you have stated, the proper time to penalize is when the scorebook is changed. If the team member participates and then leaves the game WITHOUT the book being changed to either add him or correct his number in the book, then this change should be made when it is brought to the attention of the official that the team member participated, and a technical foul should be assessed at that time.

I would also do this, if the scorer changed the book without notifying the referee. However, if the officials knew of the change while the team member was in and did nothing at that time, then it becomes too late to penalize the infraction after the ball becomes live.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Copy Of Earlier Post (zm1283)

Originally from: zm1283

This is what I'm still questioning from my original post in this thread back on the first page. I asked our state rules interpreter about the situation and he said we were correct in charging a technical to the team that added a player to the book. (For a quick refresher: Team A added a player and player entered, scorekeeper didn't alert us, Team B calls TO and we penalize Team A accordingly at that dead ball) The ball had became live after the player had been added, so I thought we were wrong in giving the technical.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

You can't fail to justly penalize an infraction simply because the scorer failed to notify you. That would allow the scorer to impact the game by selectively telling the officials about infractions only on one team. The duty of the officials is to ensure that both teams are treated fairly.