The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 08:07pm
In Time Out

Clock stopage question

I was watching a game and a player made a shot basically at the buzzer. The refs reviewed it and put .3 second left. For NCAA, when does the clock stop? I couldn't figure out why .3 seconds as it seemed to be at 0 when the ball hit off the backboard. Does it stop right when it goes through the cylinder? The net? The other team got the ball and after a long court pass the ball actually deflected of someone and hit against the backboard leading to nervous laughs from the crowd.- game went into ot.

Also, and please by all means reply to this if you think it's fair. I've (mutantducky) had to create this other nickname because I've been banned.
I completely stand by my comments that the game I saw was poorly officiated. I stand by my comments that many refs don't understand incidental contact. I stand by my point that refs shouldn’t call “over the back”/push if the contact is so minor and doesn’t lead to the other team getting the ball. Not always but there are times to avoid that call. I stand by my point that refs shouldn’t call incidental contact away from the ball, especially when the offensive player makes a jab into the defender and breaks away. The refs in the game I was watching were calling fouls on the defense on seemingly non-consequential plays and injecting themselves needlessly into the game. This was occurring for both teams and it is not good for the fans or the players to have teams, who btw aren’t playing that aggressive D, to go into bonus with 10 minutes to go. This doesn’t seem to happen with better refs at a bigger stage and in part I blame the NCAA and refs why don’t understand why basketball is played because it has been too many years since they have actually played basketball. And the play that some people had objections with did occur. The ball went into the post, whistle blew, and I thought that was a ticky-tack call. But it turns out the call had been made from the trail or center, with an away from the ball foul and upon reply the home announcers(going for the team I was against) even they said they didn't understand why a foul was called. The refs had to sort it out after discussion because the post player had lined up at the FT line and no one could figure out who should be at the line. And I stand by this which was another post that was deleted. If you are reffing a team over the years you tend to get to know them and their personalities. For the team I was rooting for, the star player had 5 questionable calls on him. This is a mild-mannered player, rarely fouls out, and he had to be held back by his coach from yelling at the refs. If I’m watching or doing a HS game, and a player like that who I’ve reffed for years and he reacts that way, I’m going to wonder why and if perhaps his reaction could be justified.

But again and I hope someone speaks out against the arbitrary actions of the administrations in particular Rich and possibly Adam who banned me. Locking the thread is one thing, but an outright ban just because I'm being critical is absurd and pathetic.. Look at my thread- Redux and Not a fan. Do you really think I should have banned for that? Seriously? I haven’t had many posts in the past year and many have been minor. They just flat out don’t like me even though most are just regular posts. Let me remind those two that dissent leads to progress. There have been much more critical posts than mine and this board used to be more lively. What rules did I break to first justify a week ban and then a permanent ban? The only reason for it seems to be because Rich and or Adam disagree with me. How is that fair? So free MutantDucky. By all means disagree with me, but a ban is completely out of line. Why the ban now?

Last edited by SaccoVanzetti; Sat Dec 26, 2015 at 08:11pm.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

To answer the one legitimate question in your novel, the clock stops when the ball clears the net.

If you post like a fanboy (which you do) on an officiating message board, you are going to receive backlash. I don't know what is so difficult to understand about that.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

1. When the ball clears the net.

2. Consider it an ABS banning....your posts would be indistinguishable from that on a team fan forum. That is not acceptable when you're posting on a forum for sports officiating.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 08:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

And you broke a long-standing rule - creating a duplicate account to sidestep a suspension is not going to be tolerated.
Closed Thread