The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 06:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There are places where such things are not strictly mandated.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

#1. Not flagrant. Not even intentional.

#2. Not flagrant, but I would lean towards intentional due to excessive contact depending on how the game was going. If there was a pattern of such rough fouls, I would have already advised the players to clean it up. If I had done that, I'd have no trouble going intentional on this.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Around here, nobody gives a preliminary signal on shooting fouls, and it's even somewhat frowned upon to throw up the two fingers in situations where we're obviously going to be shooting (like these two scenarios).

Preliminary signals only occur on fouls that will not result in free throws.

Oh, and ...

NO and NO.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 07:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Context ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Are you calling an intentional on either/both of these plays?
#1 Not flagrant, not intentional, just an in the act of shooting foul.

#2 Not flagrant, maybe an intentional foul for excessive contact (hard foul), or, if not, an in the act of shooting foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
#1- Depending on how the game has gone this might be a no call as the defender hit ball first then body, making the contact incidental. It was not even a hard foul. Seemed to be just some bad basketball.

#2- This one is a foul no question about that. It is however only a block. No need to think twice about it. Not even necessary to have a conversation about it, yes it is a hard foul but the was nothing excessive or malicious about this foul.

On another note, what is the deal with the mechanics. I did not see any preliminary signals on either foul and did not see any communication on the double whistle. How does anyone know that there was not a multiple foul or which defender the foul was being called on?
When a defender hits ball first, subsequent contact may be incidental but it is not an absolute. White 32 follow through seemed to me to make pretty solid contact with shooter. There has to be a call there--video 1 im talking about. It isnt flagrant or intentional but it is a foul. That's my opinion and wanted you to know...thx
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
@Rich

Why not is that not required by NFHS in the mechanics manual. It is possible that its not but living in Arizona we are required to give a prelim.
Preliminary signals are off little use when the foul is obvious.

FIBA is on to something with their approach- only block/charge, unsporting( intentional) or T's have a preliminary signal.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 10:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Around here, nobody gives a preliminary signal on shooting fouls, and it's even somewhat frowned upon to throw up the two fingers in situations where we're obviously going to be shooting (like these two scenarios).

Oh, and ...

NO and NO.
I can see the prelim on obvious fouls, but I've seen too many cluster farks caused by failed communication. Even if I don't throw up two fingers, I'm telling my partner who the shooter is.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

Oh, and ...

NO and NO.
Can you explain this?

It shouldn't be obvious to all three officials that you're going to be shooting. Why would communication be frowned upon?
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 04:44pm
In Time Out

First common.
Second. hmm, I would want to know what occurred before if that defender has been doing hard fouls. I think I would go with intentional but not really a problem if a common foul is called.