The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
This belongs to the T. Seems that he was way to deep, but I do believe it's the T's and not the C's.
Agreed. Not sure why anyone would think the T has the worst view, especially considering there's an L on the floor.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Agreed. Not sure why anyone would think the T has the worst view, especially considering there's an L on the floor.
Because look at the middle wire on the rim. Pretty hard to tell if it just barely touches it. As the C, nearly same view as us, has a clear view of whether the ball hit anything it shouldn't have.

T may very well have gone, well maybe it hit something, WHISTLE. Then regretted blowing air.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 03:33am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Because look at the middle wire on the rim. Pretty hard to tell if it just barely touches it. As the C, nearly same view as us, has a clear view of whether the ball hit anything it shouldn't have.

T may very well have gone, well maybe it hit something, WHISTLE. Then regretted blowing air.
It still belongs to the trail, not the C. Now we can have a discussion about the positioning of the T, but the C has other things to watch, shooter, defense crossing the free throw line, other lane violations, rebounding action. This belongs to the trail.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Yes - I'm well aware the shooter can step over the line once the ball contacts the rim.

Since everyone seems to be thinking that it was whistled (falsely) because it hit the top of the backboard, what I was wondering is if the play was whistled instead (falsely) because she stepped over the line. If we're talking about an official that doesn't know the ball can't hit the top of the backboard, why aren't we considering that the official doesn't know she can't now step over the line?

If you watch the video, she steps over the line and almost immediately the whistle gets blown. Unfortunately, that is approximately the time that the ball contacts the top of the backboard.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It still belongs to the trail, not the C. Now we can have a discussion about the positioning of the T, but the C has other things to watch, shooter, defense crossing the free throw line, other lane violations, rebounding action. This belongs to the trail.
No we don't and you completely missed the point.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Yes - I'm well aware the shooter can step over the line once the ball contacts the rim.

Since everyone seems to be thinking that it was whistled (falsely) because it hit the top of the backboard, what I was wondering is if the play was whistled instead (falsely) because she stepped over the line. If we're talking about an official that doesn't know the ball can't hit the top of the backboard, why aren't we considering that the official doesn't know she can't now step over the line?

If you watch the video, she steps over the line and almost immediately the whistle gets blown. Unfortunately, that is approximately the time that the ball contacts the top of the backboard.
Legit point. OP said the whistle was blown after it hit the top, but not what the official said/did after it happened. We don't know.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You realize what you just said is not even remotely true? As soon as the ball hits the rim the shooter can cross the line.
You realize that what you said is also wrong? The shooter can cross the line before the ball hits the ring. (Not in this specific play, but in general.)
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 10:22am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You realize that what you said is also wrong? The shooter can cross the line before the ball hits the ring. (Not in this specific play, but in general.)

Explain that please bob bc I gotta agree with OK here.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 10:34am
#thereferee99

1080p60

Why can't all clips be so?
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Explain that please bob bc I gotta agree with OK here.

I wish I had a cool signature
Ring or backboard or FT ends.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ring or backboard or FT ends.
backboard?
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
backboard?
I'm confused by your question.

If it's about the word "backboard" see 1-7.

If it's about whether a backboard is included in the rule on when a player not on the lane can enter, see 10-1-3 (a couple of subsections in there).
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 11:30am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Looks to me like it was blown b/c she stepped over the line long before the ball entered the hoop. It was still bouncin' around on top of the board when she steps over.
Quote:
Bob, he's implying that the shooter must wait until the ball goes in the basket before the shooter can enter. In this case the ball clearly hits the ring, so there would be no violation. Yes a shooter may enter when the ball hits the backboard, or the free throw ends, I never said they couldn't. I was only speaking to this particular case.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm confused by your question.

If it's about the word "backboard" see 1-7.

If it's about whether a backboard is included in the rule on when a player not on the lane can enter, see 10-1-3 (a couple of subsections in there).
No one banks FTs anymore.

And I think you mean 9-1-3
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 11:49am
NFHS Official

Quote:
No one banks FTs anymore.

And I think you mean 9-1-3
NFHS deleted the words "or backboard" from 9-1-3a. Was in 2015-16 corrections.