The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Should This Free Throw Count? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100548-should-free-throw-count-video.html)

xyrph Wed Dec 23, 2015 04:27pm

Should This Free Throw Count? (Video)

In high school varsity basketball, should this free throw count?

Either way, can you please cite the rule? Thank you.

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4U45wcRmqEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just another ref Wed Dec 23, 2015 04:32pm

Why wouldn't it?

OKREF Wed Dec 23, 2015 04:33pm

Yes. The ball didn't go over the backboard or hit a support or wire.

Rule 7-2

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 23, 2015 04:43pm

I concur. Didn't go over. Shot giod

I wish I had a cool signature

xyrph Wed Dec 23, 2015 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 973847)
Why wouldn't it?

It was not counted. A ref blew the whistle after the ball bounced to the top of the backboard and no point was recorded.

bainsey Wed Dec 23, 2015 05:01pm

NFHS 7-1-2a&b: The ball is out of bounds when it touches or is touched by... the supports or back of the backboard....(or)...when it passes over a rectangular backboard.

Dad Wed Dec 23, 2015 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyrph (Post 973850)
It was not counted. A ref blew the whistle after the ball bounced to the top of the backboard and no point was recorded.

Maybe the official thought it hit the middle support wire?

bob jenkins Wed Dec 23, 2015 06:37pm

The shot counts in HS and NCAA.

The ref bought into the same myth as 90% of the fans and 45% of the coaches.

SNIPERBBB Wed Dec 23, 2015 08:21pm

Had to educate a coach on the rule the other night. Think he was the only one in the gym that didn't know...or at least the only one the vocalize his belief.

BillyMac Wed Dec 23, 2015 09:00pm

He Should Have Read My List ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 973862)
The ref bought into the same myth as 90% of the fans and 45% of the coaches.

The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot legally pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds, as well as the supporting structures.

Danvrapp Wed Dec 23, 2015 09:41pm

Looks to me like it was blown b/c she stepped over the line long before the ball entered the hoop. It was still bouncin' around on top of the board when she steps over.

OKREF Wed Dec 23, 2015 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danvrapp (Post 973871)
Looks to me like it was blown b/c she stepped over the line long before the ball entered the hoop. It was still bouncin' around on top of the board when she steps over.

:eek: You realize what you just said is not even remotely true? As soon as the ball hits the rim the shooter can cross the line.

ODog Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:39pm

Doesn't it seem like the whistle came from an unseen Trail?

Neither the L or C (if there is, in fact, a T in this game) has any reaction that would indicate they blew the whistle or plan to wave this off.

T here would have the worst possible angle, is obviously very far away to be out of the frame and might be straightlined into thinking it hit a support.

Not good enough to wave it off, but just a possible explanation.

To me, looks like C was on top of it and had nothing.

mutantducky Thu Dec 24, 2015 01:07am

maybe he thought it hit something in the back, the ball did kind of go back then forward. But it appears to be the wrong call.

OKREF Thu Dec 24, 2015 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 973883)
Doesn't it seem like the whistle came from an unseen Trail?

Neither the L or C (if there is, in fact, a T in this game) has any reaction that would indicate they blew the whistle or plan to wave this off.

T here would have the worst possible angle, is obviously very far away to be out of the frame and might be straightlined into thinking it hit a support.

Not good enough to wave it off, but just a possible explanation.

To me, looks like C was on top of it and had nothing.

This belongs to the T. Seems that he was way to deep, but I do believe it's the T's and not the C's.