The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Must have been a few fouls ??

Last night going over books and talking with the table crew, I was asked what were the most number of free throws taken in any game I had called. I didn't know where the conversation was going but I told them I really didn't have any idea. Scorer said they had a game earlier in the week where 105 FT's were attempted. I thought they were joking but they were serious.................. makes for a long night !!!

Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Were they playing 2on2 by the end of the night?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 01:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know the specifics, but I would imagine I have had a few HS games in the 50s considering that we have called fouls that are in the 40s. I could be wrong as probably many of those are not two shooting fouls or bonus as well.

105 FTs seems like you would not have enough players to play the game to shoot that many.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know the specifics, but I would imagine I have had a few HS games in the 50s considering that we have called fouls that are in the 40s. I could be wrong as probably many of those are not two shooting fouls or bonus as well.

105 FTs seems like you would not have enough players to play the game to shoot that many.

Peace
Well, assuming a best case scenario where all of those fouls were on missed 3 point attempts, thats 35 fouls, which could be 7 different players committing 5 fouls each, so you had 4 players foul out from one team, and 3 from the other.

OR

Assume 52 shooting fouls on 2 point shots, with an And-1 to top it all off. So that's 53 fouls, or 10 players committing 5 fouls each and fouling out, with 1 player commiting the other 3 fouls. That's still only 5 players fouling out on each side.

It COULD happen.....Just sayin'....
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 01:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We had 77 a few weeks ago. 62 fouls. One team would not stop with the hands and extended forearms.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 02:36pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Well, assuming a best case scenario where all of those fouls were on missed 3 point attempts, thats 35 fouls, which could be 7 different players committing 5 fouls each, so you had 4 players foul out from one team, and 3 from the other.

OR

Assume 52 shooting fouls on 2 point shots, with an And-1 to top it all off. So that's 53 fouls, or 10 players committing 5 fouls each and fouling out, with 1 player commiting the other 3 fouls. That's still only 5 players fouling out on each side.

Because thre were SO many fouls, the coaches could have become "animated" and WHACK! Therefore, bench T's and FT's and less players may have fouled out.

Just sayin......
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post

OR

I am sure it could.

If you just have 20 fouls in a game and all fouls are 2 shot fouls (bonus or shooting), then you will have 40 FTs right there. Well I have had games were there at least 20 per half in the last couple of years, so it is certainly possible.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Dec 16, 2015 at 03:00pm.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

The scorer said one team had 7 players foul out and their coach was also given a technical. I believe they said the other team had 4 foul out.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 03:15pm
TODO: creative title here

And, for a worst-case scenario:

6 common, non-shooting fouls per team per half: 24 fouls

3 1-and-1 fouls per team per half: 12 fouls, 12 foul shots (assuming each shooter misses the first 1-1 shot)

105 total foul shots - 12 shots in 1-1... 93 foul shots left, which runs the spectrum from 93 "and one" foul shots down to as "few" as 46 two-shot fouls and one "and one" foul, for 47 fouls.

If we use the 46 + 1 fouls, we're looking at 24 (non-shooting) + 12 (1-and-1) + 46 (two shots) + 1 ("and-one"), for a total of 83 fouls.

83 fouls = 16 players fouling out + one player with 3 fouls. If you get two teams with 17-18 players on the squad (like I had last night)... it's certainly doable.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Let's deal with one issue at a time.

What is this supposed to mean?

Edit: I skipped a line which didn't make sense.

Last edited by Dad; Wed Dec 16, 2015 at 03:57pm.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 03:46pm
High Five Master

Nobody ever said we were required to do math to hang out here.......

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

3 1-and-1 fouls per team per half: 12 fouls, 12 foul shots (assuming each shooter misses the first 1-1 shot)

105 total foul shots - 12 shots in 1-1... 93 foul shots left, which runs the spectrum from 93 "and one" foul shots down to as "few" as 46 two-shot fouls and one "and one" foul, for 47 fouls.

If we use the 46 + 1 fouls, we're looking at 24 (non-shooting) + 12 (1-and-1) + 46 (two shots) + 1 ("and-one"), for a total of 83 fouls.

83 fouls = 16 players fouling out + one player with 3 fouls. If you get two teams with 17-18 players on the squad (like I had last night)... it's certainly doable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Nobody ever said we were required to do math to hang out here.......
I'm a CPA and this even made MY head spin!!
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 04:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy Holidays ...

Quote:

And a partridge in a pear tree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 06:38pm
Administrator

I do not know the most FTs in any game I officiated, but I do remember having two women's college games with 53 fouls called in the game and a boys' H.S. varsity game with 60 fouls in the game. The weird thing about the two college games was that

The two college games had a deja vu quality to them. The games happened so long ago that I can name the schools and the guilty parties won't care. The two games happened in the same season between the same two teams in their home and home series: University of Miami (Coral Gables, FL) and Florida International University (Miami, FL). And you have to remember that both my sister (who was on UMiami's women's golf team) and I attend UMiami at the time and I was semi-dating the starting point guard for UMiami. Things were very different back in the ancient days of women's college basketball; back then the officials were required to sign the score book AFTER the game was over and the players and coaches would line up to shake your hand that thank you for officiating their game, !

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I do not know the most FTs in any game I officiated, but I do remember having two women's college games with 53 fouls called in the game and a boys' H.S. varsity game with 60 fouls in the game. The weird thing about the two college games was that

The two college games had a deja vu quality to them. The games happened so long ago that I can name the schools and the guilty parties won't care. The two games happened in the same season between the same two teams in their home and home series: University of Miami (Coral Gables, FL) and Florida International University (Miami, FL). And you have to remember that both my sister (who was on UMiami's women's golf team) and I attend UMiami at the time and I was semi-dating the starting point guard for UMiami. Things were very different back in the ancient days of women's college basketball; back then the officials were required to sign the score book AFTER the game was over and the players and coaches would line up to shake your hand that thank you for officiating their game, !

MTD, Sr.
Were women still playing half-court in your day?