The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Must have been a few fouls ?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100519-must-have-been-few-fouls.html)

Refk Wed Dec 16, 2015 01:39pm

Must have been a few fouls ??

Last night going over books and talking with the table crew, I was asked what were the most number of free throws taken in any game I had called. I didn't know where the conversation was going but I told them I really didn't have any idea. Scorer said they had a game earlier in the week where 105 FT's were attempted. I thought they were joking but they were serious.................. makes for a long night !!!

:eek:

Dad Wed Dec 16, 2015 01:50pm

Were they playing 2on2 by the end of the night?

JRutledge Wed Dec 16, 2015 01:54pm

I do not know the specifics, but I would imagine I have had a few HS games in the 50s considering that we have called fouls that are in the 40s. I could be wrong as probably many of those are not two shooting fouls or bonus as well.

105 FTs seems like you would not have enough players to play the game to shoot that many.

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Dec 16, 2015 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973182)
I do not know the specifics, but I would imagine I have had a few HS games in the 50s considering that we have called fouls that are in the 40s. I could be wrong as probably many of those are not two shooting fouls or bonus as well.

105 FTs seems like you would not have enough players to play the game to shoot that many.

Peace

Well, assuming a best case scenario where all of those fouls were on missed 3 point attempts, thats 35 fouls, which could be 7 different players committing 5 fouls each, so you had 4 players foul out from one team, and 3 from the other.

OR

Assume 52 shooting fouls on 2 point shots, with an And-1 to top it all off. So that's 53 fouls, or 10 players committing 5 fouls each and fouling out, with 1 player commiting the other 3 fouls. That's still only 5 players fouling out on each side.

It COULD happen.....Just sayin'....:D

Rich Wed Dec 16, 2015 01:59pm

We had 77 a few weeks ago. 62 fouls. One team would not stop with the hands and extended forearms.

grunewar Wed Dec 16, 2015 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 973183)
Well, assuming a best case scenario where all of those fouls were on missed 3 point attempts, thats 35 fouls, which could be 7 different players committing 5 fouls each, so you had 4 players foul out from one team, and 3 from the other.

OR

Assume 52 shooting fouls on 2 point shots, with an And-1 to top it all off. So that's 53 fouls, or 10 players committing 5 fouls each and fouling out, with 1 player commiting the other 3 fouls. That's still only 5 players fouling out on each side.

Because thre were SO many fouls, the coaches could have become "animated" and WHACK! Therefore, bench T's and FT's and less players may have fouled out.

Just sayin......:D

JRutledge Wed Dec 16, 2015 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 973183)

OR

I am sure it could.

If you just have 20 fouls in a game and all fouls are 2 shot fouls (bonus or shooting), then you will have 40 FTs right there. Well I have had games were there at least 20 per half in the last couple of years, so it is certainly possible.

Peace

Refk Wed Dec 16, 2015 02:55pm

The scorer said one team had 7 players foul out and their coach was also given a technical. I believe they said the other team had 4 foul out. :eek:

jTheUmp Wed Dec 16, 2015 03:15pm

And, for a worst-case scenario:

6 common, non-shooting fouls per team per half: 24 fouls

3 1-and-1 fouls per team per half: 12 fouls, 12 foul shots (assuming each shooter misses the first 1-1 shot)

105 total foul shots - 12 shots in 1-1... 93 foul shots left, which runs the spectrum from 93 "and one" foul shots down to as "few" as 46 two-shot fouls and one "and one" foul, for 47 fouls.

If we use the 46 + 1 fouls, we're looking at 24 (non-shooting) + 12 (1-and-1) + 46 (two shots) + 1 ("and-one"), for a total of 83 fouls.

83 fouls = 16 players fouling out + one player with 3 fouls. If you get two teams with 17-18 players on the squad (like I had last night)... it's certainly doable.

Dad Wed Dec 16, 2015 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 973189)

Let's deal with one issue at a time.

What is this supposed to mean? :confused:

Edit: I skipped a line which didn't make sense.

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 16, 2015 03:46pm

Nobody ever said we were required to do math to hang out here.......

I wish I had a cool signature

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Dec 16, 2015 03:48pm

Quote:

3 1-and-1 fouls per team per half: 12 fouls, 12 foul shots (assuming each shooter misses the first 1-1 shot)

105 total foul shots - 12 shots in 1-1... 93 foul shots left, which runs the spectrum from 93 "and one" foul shots down to as "few" as 46 two-shot fouls and one "and one" foul, for 47 fouls.

If we use the 46 + 1 fouls, we're looking at 24 (non-shooting) + 12 (1-and-1) + 46 (two shots) + 1 ("and-one"), for a total of 83 fouls.

83 fouls = 16 players fouling out + one player with 3 fouls. If you get two teams with 17-18 players on the squad (like I had last night)... it's certainly doable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 973192)
Nobody ever said we were required to do math to hang out here.......

I'm a CPA and this even made MY head spin!!

BillyMac Wed Dec 16, 2015 04:30pm

Happy Holidays ...

Quote:

And a partridge in a pear tree.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 16, 2015 06:38pm

I do not know the most FTs in any game I officiated, but I do remember having two women's college games with 53 fouls called in the game and a boys' H.S. varsity game with 60 fouls in the game. The weird thing about the two college games was that

The two college games had a deja vu quality to them. The games happened so long ago that I can name the schools and the guilty parties won't care. The two games happened in the same season between the same two teams in their home and home series: University of Miami (Coral Gables, FL) and Florida International University (Miami, FL). And you have to remember that both my sister (who was on UMiami's women's golf team) and I attend UMiami at the time and I was semi-dating the starting point guard for UMiami. Things were very different back in the ancient days of women's college basketball; back then the officials were required to sign the score book AFTER the game was over and the players and coaches would line up to shake your hand that thank you for officiating their game, :eek:!

MTD, Sr.

Dad Wed Dec 16, 2015 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 973226)
I do not know the most FTs in any game I officiated, but I do remember having two women's college games with 53 fouls called in the game and a boys' H.S. varsity game with 60 fouls in the game. The weird thing about the two college games was that

The two college games had a deja vu quality to them. The games happened so long ago that I can name the schools and the guilty parties won't care. The two games happened in the same season between the same two teams in their home and home series: University of Miami (Coral Gables, FL) and Florida International University (Miami, FL). And you have to remember that both my sister (who was on UMiami's women's golf team) and I attend UMiami at the time and I was semi-dating the starting point guard for UMiami. Things were very different back in the ancient days of women's college basketball; back then the officials were required to sign the score book AFTER the game was over and the players and coaches would line up to shake your hand that thank you for officiating their game, :eek:!

MTD, Sr.

Were women still playing half-court in your day? :D