The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Shoot the Bonus?

White on offense commits a foul by displacing the defensive player away from the ball. This is the 7th team foul on white. Does Blue shoot the bonus?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
White on offense commits a foul by displacing the defensive player away from the ball. This is the 7th team foul on white. Does Blue shoot the bonus?
No, Offensive Foul. Team Control
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

A member since Feb 2007?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I was bewildered last week to see bonus shot on an offensive foul in my son's HS JV game. I started by thinking, wow, that rule changed a *long* time ago . . . then it dawned on me it wasn't just an offensive foul, it was a player control foul. As far as I know, that was never a bonus opportunity . . . some of these JV games are quite an adventure (and others are quite well officiated, quite a spectrum). . .
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

How are officials still screwing this up at the JV level?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Cause they're JV Officials.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The same way officials at all levels screw it up. They do not slow it down and do not think through the rule.

Many people only think of a TC foul as something that happens during an illegal screen and do not think much more than that situation.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

How about if an illegal screen happens on a throw in? Do you shoot the bonus then?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:28pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
How about if an illegal screen happens on a throw in? Do you shoot the bonus then?
Nope, team control also exists when a team has control of the ball for a throw-in.*

*For fouls only, not backcourt violations.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Beginners here work JV games. Depends where you live, I guess.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Beginners here work JV games. Depends where you live, I guess.
Makes sense. Usually don't get JV here until 3rd year. 2nd if you're good/they like you.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Makes sense. Usually don't get JV here until 3rd year. 2nd if you're good/they like you.
We do not have those kind of restrictions at all. Anyone can work any level of high school if they are assigned it and certainly not a restriction for the most part for any lower level games. Those might be the only officials available for that game.

I have also noticed on this site what we call JV, you might call something else.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We do not have those kind of restrictions at all. Anyone can work any level of high school if they are assigned it and certainly not a restriction for the most part for any lower level games. Those might be the only officials available for that game.

I have also noticed on this site what we call JV, you might call something else.

Peace
Probably, and a lot more would make sense. I've never considered Freshman/C squad/etc to be JV.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Probably, and a lot more would make sense. I've never considered Freshman/C squad/etc to be JV.
I never said JV was Freshman ball. I said that what some call JV is what most places in the Chicagoland area is sophomore. Where I started JV referred to the game before the varsity in many cases, because the schools were so small those were the only kids that they could get to play the prelim games. In the Chicagoland area the JV team is usually the bench varsity players or players that were not good enough to sit on the bench regularly of the varsity team but might play other levels like the freshman or the sophomore teams.

The bottom line, anything lower than varsity could have anyone working those games. There are some assignors that have some criteria for what officials work, but that is their choice. I worked a JV game (before the varsity game) as my first high school game 20 years ago in December.

So in this case, it is possible this is a first year official or officials that made this ruling if it took place in the right part of my state. Usually that is not going to be the preferred assigning make-up, but is can happen just that way.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I never said JV was Freshman ball. I said that what some call JV is what most places in the Chicagoland area is sophomore. Where I started JV referred to the game before the varsity in many cases, because the schools were so small those were the only kids that they could get to play the prelim games. In the Chicagoland area the JV team is usually the bench varsity players or players that were not good enough to sit on the bench regularly of the varsity team but might play other levels like the freshman or the sophomore teams.

The bottom line, anything lower than varsity could have anyone working those games. There are some assignors that have some criteria for what officials work, but that is their choice. I worked a JV game (before the varsity game) as my first high school game 20 years ago in December.

So in this case, it is possible this is a first year official or officials that made this ruling if it took place in the right part of my state. Usually that is not going to be the preferred assigning make-up, but is can happen just that way.

Peace
Our JV is actually JV in the state to the north. For most schools, it's the level right below varsity.

Anything other than varsity is usually hired by the schools here. And what they get as far as officials go runs the gamut. Leagues only assign varsity contests here. Officials associations usually don't assign games.