View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I never said JV was Freshman ball. I said that what some call JV is what most places in the Chicagoland area is sophomore. Where I started JV referred to the game before the varsity in many cases, because the schools were so small those were the only kids that they could get to play the prelim games. In the Chicagoland area the JV team is usually the bench varsity players or players that were not good enough to sit on the bench regularly of the varsity team but might play other levels like the freshman or the sophomore teams.

The bottom line, anything lower than varsity could have anyone working those games. There are some assignors that have some criteria for what officials work, but that is their choice. I worked a JV game (before the varsity game) as my first high school game 20 years ago in December.

So in this case, it is possible this is a first year official or officials that made this ruling if it took place in the right part of my state. Usually that is not going to be the preferred assigning make-up, but is can happen just that way.

Peace
Our JV is actually JV in the state to the north. For most schools, it's the level right below varsity.

Anything other than varsity is usually hired by the schools here. And what they get as far as officials go runs the gamut. Leagues only assign varsity contests here. Officials associations usually don't assign games.