The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I was thinking about this last night. I am doing a few junior high games this year as a favor, and last night was the first one. There was no administrator on site, just the coaches. At that point, how would you guys handle an out of control fan. Obviously it's pretty unlikely at a middle school game, but I wasn't really sure what I'd do if it got to that point.
Give the coach a chance to deal with the fan. If the coach refuses to deal with it, or if he can't deal with it (fan refuses to leave), you really only have 2 options: call the game and get the heck out of there, or get law enforcement involved.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Then stop officiating.

Without the Officials Code of Ethics or Missions Statement what is the point of being patched?
Why does my Opinion have to automatically warrant me to stop officiating. It's like the 2nd or 3rd time you've told someone to stop officiating because they don't agree with you. I do not believe that giving T's to fans is a best practice. I can't even think of a reason to do this. Other than the toilet paper toss that everyone know is coming. Now if that's what you, or your organization feels is needed by all means whack away. If a situation has risen to the point that the fans have become such a determent to the game; a T is the least of your problems.

Your name might say "Dad", but your not mine. I'll continue to officiate in manner consisant with the principles of my state and local association. If I want to go back to doing grade school and middle school ball i'll consider your advice.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
On the contrary, the fan behavior is poor because people are not held accountable for their actions.
If the behavior is bad enough to warrant removal, ask yourself why the affiliated school/team shouldn't be penalized?
Sadly, the same people who moan about poor sportsmanship are the same ones unwilling to do something to address the problem.
Fair enough,

I'll remove the cancer and move on. For me that's addressed enough. In extreme cases parents have been banned from attending school functions. Problem fixed. If you want to start giving out T's as part of your solution great it's just not mine.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
Why does my Opinion have to automatically warrant me to stop officiating. It's like the 2nd or 3rd time you've told someone to stop officiating because they don't agree with you. I do not believe that giving T's to fans is a best practice. I can't even think of a reason to do this. Other than the toilet paper toss that everyone know is coming. Now if that's what you, or your organization feels is needed by all means whack away. If a situation has risen to the point that the fans have become such a determent to the game; a T is the least of your problems.

Your name might say "Dad", but your not mine. I'll continue to officiate in manner consisant with the principles of my state and local association. If I want to go back to doing grade school and middle school ball i'll consider your advice.
It's like the.... zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
I don't officiate for the players, coaches, or fans.
Well, without them you're really not officiating now are you? Get it?

Again, read the missions statement and the officials code of ethics. It is what you signed up for.

I have never given a tech to a fan, but have kicked plenty out. I also don't have unruly games. I think at some point you confused my points -- probably when believing I was trying to insult you.

Dad are my initials, but your comment did get a laugh out of me.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 02:56pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Then stop officiating.

Without the Officials Code of Ethics or Missions Statement what is the point of being patched?
Is that in response to him saying he does it because he enjoys it?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Is that in response to him saying he does it because he enjoys it?
Nope, was a response to a play on words.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Well you're going to have to direct that at several people here. From either knowing them, or the quality of their posts, they are solid officials too.

I do this because it keeps me involved in the sports that I like. The players are for the game is for and I don't lose sight of that fact but I do this primarily for me.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I can't really tell with the face what your thoughts are on the subject and I'd like to hear them.

I've kicked out numerous fans and never assessed a team technical foul for it.
Wow, numerous?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Then stop officiating.

What are you talking about?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
On the contrary, the fan behavior is poor because people are not held accountable for their actions.
If the behavior is bad enough to warrant removal, ask yourself why the affiliated school/team shouldn't be penalized?
Sadly, the same people who moan about poor sportsmanship are the same ones unwilling to do something to address the problem.
I don't moan. I'm not adverse to addressing unacceptable behavior from the crowd (as noted in an earlier post). I'm not T'ing up a team b/c some a-hole roots for them.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Wow, numerous?
I'm not scared to leave my holy ground of varsity games to clean up some wreck ball.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Wow, numerous?
I was wondering the same thing. I've only even considered it a couple of times, but found other ways to address it each time.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Then stop officiating.

Sorry, you don't get to tell someone he should stop officiating just because he has different reasons than you do for doing it.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I've only even considered it a couple of times, but found other ways to address it each time.
High school and above I've only ever had to remove one fan.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
It seems like every year, I have at least one fan who thinks their $4 allows them to sit in the front row and yell at the officials.

My favorite is when we go to a private christian school playing another private christian school and get yelled at for 4 quarters. Its all respectful when the anthem and prayer are being said, but throw that ball up in the air and the devil takes over.

In most of the gyms I work, the game administrator has always been helpful. I usually ask them to work with the fan so they can stick around to watch the game. I try to give the benefit of the doubt. A few years ago we had a guy sitting first row at half court, about 45 years old with his hat on backwards. He had something to say after every call. The administrator went over and said, "you can keep your comments quiet and stay, pay me an extra $100 so I can get another official, or leave the gym." The guy left at half time and watch the game from the windows outside.
So true. People absolutely lose their minds, not to mention their religion, once the ball is tipped to start the game. Pride, ego and insecurity always rears it's ugly head.