The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Rating System

Post game discussion last night posed by partners, "How come we don't get to rate the coaches." After chuckling a little, I started to wonder if there are any states that allow or have in place a system where officials rate the coaches.

Do any of you work in a state or association where officials rate the coach, gym/facilities, AD, etc?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Post game discussion last night posed by partners, "How come we don't get to rate the coaches." After chuckling a little, I started to wonder if there are any states that allow or have in place a system where officials rate the coaches.

Do any of you work in a state or association where officials rate the coach, gym/facilities, AD, etc?
In Minnesota we rate coaches, players, spectators, site management and table crew on a scale of 1-5
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

When I was in HS in the late 90s-early 00s, I remember our conference had a sportsmanship award based on referee ratings. Not sure if it still happens.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 03:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

First question I'd ask:

What purpose would it serve?

I'm not fond of the coach ratings here, either. I think using a rating from one of the people least likely to know about officiating mechanics and philosophies is completely absurd.

For the same reason, I see no reason to rate a coach -- it's unfair to put a rating in the hands of someone who knows just as little about coaching.

I did create a questionnaire for the conference I assign. I included questions on sportsmanship and game management, but it's not a rating -- it's just a mechanism to see which schools get it and which ones don't....and then I can mention it to them.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 03:47pm
TODO: creative title here

When I'm rating coaches, I basically use it as a "how respectful was the coach?" rating. And I don't spend more than about 2 seconds thinking about it.

If I had to whack a coach, he's going to get a lower rating... if she's professional and not overly argumentative, she'll get a higher rating.

And I suspect that the state office takes these about as seriously as they take the coach's ratings of officials.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 04:40pm
Administrator

Quote:

Officials/Umpires rating head coaches??!! "Surely, you are not serious. I am serious and stop calling me Shirley!"

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Most tournaments I do ask the referees to give a sportsmanship score to each team, where coach, players, and spectators are all part of the consideration. Other than that, coaches earn a reputation. I know a couple of sub-varsity coaches who get a T in every single game, and at least one official on the crew for those games knows him and is ready to blow the whistle on him before he gets too out of hand. That really is the rating system for the most part.

Aside from that, send a report to your association leadership if something needs to be addressed. Ejections at the high school level get a lot of behind-the-scenes attention. For coaches, it involves fines, sanctions, required training/recertification, interviews with principals, AD's, district superintendents, etc. A lot of officials don't know that those reports are read and acted upon.

Last edited by goodros_nemesis; Wed Dec 09, 2015 at 05:33pm.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 06:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Do You Mean "Nobody Got Any Votes" ???

My local board gives out a sportsmanship award every year. Our officials vote (not rate) for the award. One to a boys team. One to a girls team.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
If I had to whack a coach, he's going to get a lower rating... if she's professional and not overly argumentative, she'll get a higher rating.
So why is it when you're thinking of whacking a coach, you assume it's a HE, and when you're thinking about a "professional and not overly argumentative" coach, you assume it's a SHE?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
So why is it when you're thinking of whacking a coach, you assume it's a HE, and when you're thinking about a "professional and not overly argumentative" coach, you assume it's a SHE?
It's simply a literary mechanism, an alternative form of stating "he/she" in each instance.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 12:37am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
When I'm rating coaches, I basically use it as a "how respectful was the coach?" rating. And I don't spend more than about 2 seconds thinking about it.

And I suspect that the state office takes these about as seriously as they take the coach's ratings of officials.
Quote:

I don't care if the HC is a He or a She, I just whack 'em. And in my "family's" business it is never personal just business, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nope, but I work in two states and the coaches don't rate the officials, so I don't care.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Officials/Umpires rating head coaches??!! "Surely, you are not serious. I am serious and stop calling me Shirley!"

MTD, Sr.

I think the correct line is ...."don't call me Shirley"
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Surely you can't be serious.

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:31am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
I just decided to alternate pronouns.

Get over yourself.

Or, if it helps:
If I had to whack a coach, she's going to get a lower rating... if he's professional and not overly argumentative, he'll get a higher rating.