The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Incorrect Test Answers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100468-incorrect-test-answers.html)

deecee Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 972273)
Based on the OP, I would say that the ball being caught by A1, and B3 entering happen simultaneously, not in series. I think that gives us the wiggle room to be able to say, "Hold up, my bad" and reload. If the shooter clearly has it, and THEN B3 enters, delayed violation.

By the book yes. But as it has been stated the acceptable approach is that we blow the whistle get the ball back and start over. Shouldn't punish a team because we were in a rush.

frezer11 Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 972132)
Okay, we got our tests back for review today. They say I missed 8. I have serious issues with their results.

A1 is at the free throw line for a single try. The official bounces the ball towards A1, and does not see that B3 is trying to get to the 3rd lane space on the opposite side. By the time A1 catches the ball, B3 is crossing the free throw line, moving into the 3rd lane space. The officials stop the free throw, take the ball from the shooter, and allow the players to reset along the lane. No violation is called.

true or false

By the way, a little off topic here, but what route is he taking that he needs to cross the free throw line??? Should that maybe say lane line? Another example of a question that could easily be worded much better...

frezer11 Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 972275)
By the book yes. But as it has been stated the acceptable approach is that we blow the whistle get the ball back and start over. Shouldn't punish a team because we were in a rush.

Oh I agree entirely, if its even remotely close I will kill it. I've never once had a coach make any sort of argument that there may have been a violation. Now if its 2 seconds after A1 has it? Too late

BillyMac Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:29pm

Wiggle Room ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 972273)
Based on the OP, I would say that the ball being caught by A1, and B3 entering happen simultaneously, not in series. I think that gives us the wiggle room to be able to say, "Hold up, my bad" and reload. If the shooter clearly has it, and THEN B3 enters, delayed violation.

Agree 100%.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 10, 2015 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 972276)
By the way, a little off topic here, but what route is he taking that he needs to cross the free throw line??? Should that maybe say lane line? Another example of a question that could easily be worded much better...

I think they meant FT line extended.

frezer11 Thu Dec 10, 2015 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 972320)
I think they meant FT line extended.

Well even so, think about the route taken to get to the 3rd spot. Either he's pointlessly walking down the sideline and going to take a 90 degree turn once he gets inside the FT line extended, or he's so far inside the 3 point line that there is no way anyone should've administered the ball in the first place. Just odd.

just another ref Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:40pm

Interesting discussion. No doubt many of us would blow the play dead and allow the player in with no penalty if we thought we were at fault for not seeing
him. But technically I don't see any provision in the rules for doing so, and that's what I think of the test as being, all about technicalities. And what about all the variables here which are unknown? B3 may have been standing in this same spot behind the free throw shooter all night, but decided at the last split second for whatever reason to step in on this one. I think technically this is false, but in real life it is very often true, and should be. Moreover, I will file it away under BAD QUESTIONS WHICH SHOULD NEVER, EVER APPEAR ON A TEST.

Thanks for the opinions.